Family Life

Parents warned that toy can cause blindness

After a 14-year old boy lost 75% of his eyesight recently, Australian health officials have issuing a grave warning to parents – laser pointers are not toys.

It happened when the boy shone the laser into his eyes for mere seconds, burning his retinas and permanently damaging the back of his eyes.

The damage occurred instantly, and although he experienced no pain his vision was immediately impacted.

“He came in to see me and on the Friday night he'd got a hold of a laser pen and unfortunately shined it in his eyes for a very brief period of time,” said the boy’s optometrist Ben Armitage.

“Unfortunately, that's the area where your detailed central vision takes place and therefore it's had somewhat of an exaggerated effect on how much sight he's lost.”

Now Geoff Squibb, Optometry Tasmania Chief Executive has warned parents not to purchase laser pens for children.

How frightening that a seemingly innocent toy can cause irreparable, life-limiting damage in seconds. Children as well as parents should be shown this story to educate them on the risks.

Please SHARE to spread awareness about the dangers of these laser pens.

Search results for
View all