Family Life

Mum shares safety hack for giving children this favourite fruit

Sophie Jackson was visiting her parents with her two children when the "worst day of [her] life" happened. 

She decided to give her 2-year-old son, Jake, some grapes, being careful to cut them in half. 

The toddler put a handful of the grapes into his mouth, and immediately started choking. 

"I immediately put him over my knee and hit his back several times," she wrote. "It didn't work [so] I put my fingers down his throat, I couldn't feel the grapes. Jake wasn't able to breathe." 

As Sophie rang the ambulance, her husband started hitting her son's back, in an attempt to dislodge the grapes. "Jake was blue and purple and stopped struggling." 

Her mother forced her fingers down the boy's throat and managed to pop the grape with her fingernails. 

"My mum's finger nail popping the grape made the smallest amount for room in Jake's airways which enabled him to finally have the strength to retch hard and bring out the grape followed by blood and mucus.

Jake could finally breath." 

Deciding that they could beat the ambulance to the hospital, the family took off. Medical staff told Sophie that Jake was extremely lucky to be alive: 

"I have being told by the doctors and nurses he is extremely lucky to be alive and as well as he is. Jake is home and well with just trauma to his throat." 

Sophie said that she was reposting the warning to inform parents of the dangers of kids favourite foods. 

"Please cut your child's grapes. Please tell everyone to cut your child's grapes. Nothing is worth the risk of loosing them." 

She also included a diagram, featuring the correct way to cut grapes, lengthways as opposed to in halves. 

A scary reminder to us all to watch the little things. 

Search results for
View all