Free-to-access conception hub launched to help boost fertility information.
A group of midwives have launched a new free information hub and not-for-profit conception kit to help people maximise the chance of getting pregnant naturally. The hub, which is completely free to access, features information for men and women and aims to educate people on the science of conception and how to better understand their bodies and track cycles. The resource was developed by midwives because planning and preparing to become pregnant is associated with better outcomes and improved health for women, children and families.
The HSE state that one in six heterosexual couples in Ireland may experience infertility while trying to conceive. 85% of these couples will conceive a child naturally after one year of trying. This figure rises to 95% after two years. For the remaining 5% however, they will need assisted conception with the help from a reproductive specialist. The length of time it takes to conceive impacts the psychological wellbeing of parents to be, and for those that go on to fertility investigations and treatment, many couples find the process mentally and physically draining and in some cases places financial pressures on themselves.
Lesley Gilchrist, registered midwife and CEO of My Expert Midwife said:
"Planning and preparing to become pregnant is associated with better outcomes and improved health for women, children and families. Our team of registered midwives created our free-to-access information hub to reach as many people as possible who want to conceive, and through our not-for-profit ‘Trying to Conceive Kit’ we hope to provide a no-frills toolkit that can help people accurately track their cycles at an accessible price.
Whether people want to know more about fertility before trying for a baby, or for those already trying to become pregnant, the Trying to Conceive Hub and Kit can help improve understanding of the subject and offer reassurance and support.”
The hub includes videos, blogs, a printable ovulation chart and calculator and a downloadable e-book which will all be available to access from MyExpertMidwife.ie. The not-for-profit Trying to Conceive kit will include a book ‘Your Guide To Trying To Conceive’, three months’ of ovulation sticks, a thermometer to measure basal body temperature, ovulation chart and pregnancy tests.