Author

Post subject: Property Rental Question
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:17 pm

Hi there

Just looking for some feedback from people who have put their property up for rent. Have any of you used agents to do this or have you done it yourself (i.e. sourced the tenants and managed it yourself e.t.c) We are considering using agents to rent the house for us but I have heard some bad reports. Has anyone any feedback on this?

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:48 pm

Buddhabelly,

We put our property up for rent two times without using any agents whatsoever.... Both times we got really good tenants - just did the usual things......

Met them, got references, ideally from previous landlords and went somewhat on gut instinct!!

The first time and only time we used an agent we had a bad experience with the tenants!!

We did however use a solicitor and get a properly drawn up lease agreement and complied with the PRTB regulations!!!

Hope this helps....

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:49 pm

I should add that we also maintained the property and did all the usual things.......however the rented property was only 5 minutes away from where we live....

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 pm

We do both. The property that is only 1hr away from us we manage ourselves... sourced tenants, and if anything needed we pop down to it.

The property that is a few hours away though we rent through a management company.

Both have pros and cons.. if you're not very near the property, it is handy to have someone else manage it. But you need to ask them what their processes are wrt to sourcing tenants (references etc), and what what their fees include. If you get it all in writing and everyone is clear on exactly what is expected of them (i.e. both you and the management company), then it can work out great. We pay 10% of rent to the management company, but IMO it's worth it.

I would not think it was worth it though to give 10% of rent on the nearer property to someone.

HTH!

Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right, it's not the end

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:00 pm

We also have a property that is in a different city so have agents that mange it. We pay them one months rent as their fee and they are the keyholders and look after all queries and problems from the tenents.

They also sourced the tenents and did a full inventory for us.

I definitely think it is worth the money to have no hassle.

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 pm

Can I give you a tenants perspective?

We rented for a year and a half in Ballina direct from the landlord - they were great, we really clicked and had no major problems.

Here we rent through an agency. It's a new house and the snag list is endless. We've never met the landlord, which to me is just weird. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable in renting my house to someone I'd never met. In fact we never met anyone at the agency either. If I were a landlord I would be very skeptical. Anyone can make up references, but nothing substitutes meeting the whole family and seeing for yourself.

When things go wrong at this property we call the agent, who then calls the landlord, who then calls the agent back and so on and so forth. If we're lucky we get a ring back a few days later. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's a waste of everyone's time. If we were just able to ring the landlord it would be so much easier.

Yesterday the front door decided to break (don't get me started on overpriced poorly built housing estates) and the landlord happens to be on holidays and the agency told me there was nothing they could do. HELLO? I have two toddlers, I do not want to go to bed each night with my door unlocked, not to mention the fact that I can't leave the house until he gets back. Seriosuly... what is he paying these people for?

I understand what some people say about far away properties, but this guy is in Dublin (we're in edenderry) and so is the agent - so no one is close! I just think the landlord is being taken for the proverbial ride, but that's just us.

We're moving again in September and I cannot wait to get out of here - it's just a ridiculous system. We're renting direct with the landlords again while we build our own place (THANK GOD!!!) ;-)

Best of luck!

Deborah

http://fatdebslim.com

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:37 pm

We used an agent to find tenants and initially to manage the property. The property mgt was a disaster they were unable to get anything done so we looked after it ourselves even though we were in a different country. It was actually quicker and more efficient for the tenant!

We had great tenants for the first letting and the the two subsequent were less than satisfactory. With the last tenant there was a lot of hassle, they didn't leave on time, didn't pay the rent and a whole host of other hassles. The agent was less than useless and I wonder who they were working for at the end, me or the tenant! They also found me a tenant who lasted a month, wouldn't have minded but this family had a long history of changing their minds with both rental and purchase of the property in the area. So in summary, would manage the property yourself, get a proper lease via a solicitor drawn up, mee the tenant even if through an agent and don't forget to register with the PRTB.

Good luck with it.
AJ

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks for the feedback, its good to hear different sides. I think we will initially use the agent to source the tenants as we don't have the time unfortunately but we will manage it ourselves, even though we will be abroad we have family and friends to pop in if anything is needed.

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:51 am

We've been in the same apartment for 8.5 years. Initially it was managed by the landlord's office (he is a big property baron down the country) and that was fine, but I guess the company which manages the apartment complex made a case to him for managing this individual apartment and that's been the case for maybe six years. We've been told repeatedly we're very good tenants, so it does rankle when it takes ages for anything to happen (if it happens at all). Last year, our bathtub sprouted a hole. The property manager had it replaced in a matter of days, but she didn't get a quote and we all discovered that the guy had replaced a fourteen year old cheap acrylic tub with a steel bath. She tried to get us to pay €600 towards half the tub. I said, in the interest of staying on good terms, I'll contribute something, but really, why would he go so far above the quote - what did he quote you? Er...I didn't get a quote. I called a couple of bath supply places who said after ten years, you really can't expect too much of an acrylic bath and didn't think I should offer ANYTHING, but the cost of a new acrylic tub would be about €300. The subject was dropped. But if an agent isn't getting quotes for repairs, what the hell are they doing? We stay on good terms, but I've often thought my landlord is wasting his money.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:07 am

Buddhabelly wrote:
Hi there

Just looking for some feedback from people who have put their property up for rent. Have any of you Private landlords that accept DSS leeds used agents to do this or have you done it yourself (i.e. sourced the tenants and managed it yourself e.t.c) We are considering using agents to rent the house for us but I have heard some bad reports. Has anyone any feedback on this?

Hi
I have put my property up for rent two times without using any agents whatsoever.... Both times we got really good tenants - just did the usual things.Met them, got references.
The first time and only time we used an agent we had a bad experience with the tenants.