Author

Post subject: Re: Nails
Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:07 pm

I will admit my nails are not great, they are quite soft and have always been that way.

I am very hard on my nails in work so when I am on holidays they grow and look great.

I have them painted all the time as I prefer it that way, I am a polish addict and my nails feel weaker without polish on.
Nails are dead skin and don't need to breathe or anything. You can only influence your new growth, which lies under the cuticle.

Some tips I have picked up include:

Keep your nails and cuticles moisturised as often as possible. However often you do it, double it :)
Avoid using nails as tools (opening cereal boxes, cans of coke...think about how often we do this)
Wear rubber gloves when washing up.
Try and avoid handling paper very often (this causes nails to split)
Ditto your hair - don't run your fingers through your hair - it splits nails.
Get a proper glass or crystal nail file. You will not regret it.
Hardeners that contain formaldehyde will work...but they can also make your nails so hard that they crack and break, so take a rest from them every couple of weeks (mavala, OPI nail envy etc)
After your shower, use a towel to gently push back the cuticle. Try not to cut or trim it.

Supplements can work but can take 6 mnths to see a difference (ie can only affect new nail growth) - I like Biotin and take a 5000mcg dose.

Hope this helps.

Check out www.loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com - she has some really good information and is a great nail guru.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:32 pm

On my bum in front of the laptop...where else!
The best thing I ever bought was €2.49 in Penneys. It is essence studio nails. Silver bottle with ultra strong nail hardener on the bottle. My nails have never been better. They do other products too but I have tried many different things and this is by far the best ever.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Engol - my nails are (were!) exactly as you describe. Nail polish absolutely doesn't help - if I paint my nails, I don't leave the polish on for more than a couple of days. What has made a tremendous difference, though, is Udo's Oil. It's gack, but within a week of taking it, I noticed a huge difference in my nails, both in terms of growth rate and strength. I'm hoping it will perform similar wonders on my hair.

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:19 am

Also tried bio oil. No use.

Some good tips to look in to - thanks!

Could be low in iron. I often am. Definitely wash hands too often but try to use rubber gloves. Good tip on the paper/hair.

Ok. I'm going to try again to get them looking decent. I'll do a 30 day nail challenge. Never did a 30 day anything challenge before!

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Pregnancy is the only thing that give me nice nails. They have been looking lovely for the last few weeks but I know it's coming to an end soon so no more nice nails. I'll be back to peeling nails soon :(

I've tried everything but nothing stops the peeling so I'm just enjoying it while it lasts.

My skin and hair are fairly good too so I'm not too upset by it all. 2 out of 3 ain't bad, eh?

Let the madness continue

Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 pm

madamemac wrote:
Engol - my nails are (were!) exactly as you describe. Nail polish absolutely doesn't help - if I paint my nails, I don't leave the polish on for more than a couple of days. What has made a tremendous difference, though, is Udo's Oil. It's gack, but within a week of taking it, I noticed a huge difference in my nails, both in terms of growth rate and strength. I'm hoping it will perform similar wonders on my hair.

gack as right.

Almonds? they are full of Vit E.
My nails are cyclical and are a fairly good indication of my health. I get ridges and they are very brittle. Washing dishes/hands /wiping tables weakens them terribly, even with using rubber gloves. i eat more almonds than I used to and ate a lot a while ago. Now the nails are good i.e. all the same length and shape. Dunno how long it will last tho. A massive effort require I think. Exhausting...

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:57 am

Hey Engol :D Nails contain a lot of laminated layers of keratin-which is a protein. Weak nails don’t grow easily but very easy to break. Unhealthy nails are often caused by improper care. But you can fix this very easy by a healthy lifestyle, a proper nail care and some simple tips I recommend here:
- Vitamin E is very good for our health, especially if you want to stronger your nails.
- Biotin will build nail thickness and hardness. It can reduce the risk of splitting as well.
- Eat rich –biotin foods like carrots, corn, egg yolks, lentils, sweet potatoes, salmon, almonds, soybeans ...

You can use green tea to improve your nails as well.
- Brew a cup of green tea and wait for a few minutes.
- Soak your nails in it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this remedy twice a week.
There are other simple tips to treat weak nails :D You can read it here https://authorityremedies.com/how-to-ma ... -stronger/

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:34 pm

uh I have a problem too. my nails flaking apart. and I don't know if I need some minerals and vitamins or something. but they are really thin, and I've never had a long natural nails in my life. maybe you could say what minerals my organism needs? what should I do that my nails would stop flaking apart?

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Biotin supplements can help strengthen brittle and weak nails. Ask your doctor first before taking it.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:55 am

Redb wrote:
I am taking fishoils at the moment for my skin but my nails are brilliant. growing and strong and really not splitting. I'm also using the Opi Nail Envy to protect them and that gives them a bit of a shine.

Opi Nail Envy is great stuff!

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous   1, 2