Author

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:00 pm

My left eye is driving me insane, it is so itchy and sore, I have suffered with dry eye for years, but lately I am spending a lot of time reading and looking at screens..particularly in the last few weeks (new job; involving lots of reading) and it has flared up badly. I wonder is it connected. I was at Doc for something else and he told me it was not an infection but indeed dry eye. I am wondering if I need to start thinking about glasses, as I starting to think my eyes are under strain.

Anyone else and is there any help, natural or OTC to soothe this annoying condition??????

Last edited by ZanyK on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:06 pm

My optician recommended Gel eyes to me it's available OTC and it had made a huge difference to me.
I used to wake up during the night with very sore eyes, I still do if I havent used it in a couple of days.
You can get it in boots.

Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:07 pm

I get flare ups of this in one eye after an accident with a rose bush that left one eyeball like a dart board with scar tissue.

I use Tears Naturale and find it good. I used to use brolene but that's more for infections. It's very irritating and I'd have my eyelashes pulled out.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:31 pm

I remember someone telling me linseed can help with dry eye. only vaguely remember the conversation so google it for more info x

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:37 pm

I used to have this (before laser) and lacrilube really helped.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:58 pm

It might be worth getting tested for Sjogren's Syndrome as one of the main indicators is dry eyes. Wrt treatment, there's lots of different lubricants you could try. I use Celluvisc during the day and Lacrilube at night. It might be worth going to an optician or opthamologist if you're eyes are very irritated just to check if you need a steroid drop to heal the irritation.
Eta flaxseed supplements are supposed to help, but you'd need to take a high dose over a number of months before the effects would kick in. Personally I didn't notice much difference when taking them.

Last edited by She-ra on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:01 pm

I also used celluvisc in the daytime then lacrilube at night. I feel for you, I have very painful memories of very painful one eyed night feeds!!

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:28 pm

I have complete dry eye in both eyes, tear ducts completely useless. I was liquifilm tears. I have to use them all the time, I'd put them in about 10 times a day.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:28 pm

you can use Blink intensive tears or Blink Gel tears for dry eyes - they are link your own natural tears so there are no limits to how often you can use them. They are over the counter and you can get them in Boots

To err is human
To arrh is Pirate

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:33 pm

I was told to eat more seeds to prevent dry eyes. They used to sting terribly in the shower. Drinking more water helps. (Not in the shower... In your diet I mean!)

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:11 pm

If you are looking at a a screen more than you used to then you need to be really conscious of blink rate. It drops significantly when concentrating on a screen and this will dry out the eye. You'll need to consciously take a break every 20 mins or half an hour and focus on an object in the distance to help the eyes. And you'll need to remember to blink more often.

Aside from that artifical tears are great to help keep the eye lubricated. My optician recommended that I clean my eyes every morning with a eye wipe - don't know what they are called, would need to check the box later, but essentially I am removing any excess mucous from my lower eyeline. It makes a difference to how dry my eye feels over the day.

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:15 pm

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/eyes/medicin ... drops.html

My optician told me to get this eyedrops, they are really good

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Deisemum wrote:
I get flare ups of this in one eye after an accident with a rose bush that left one eyeball like a dart board with scar tissue.

I use Tears Naturale and find it good. I used to use brolene but that's more for infections. It's very irritating and I'd have my eyelashes pulled out.

Jaysus Deisemum!

Thanks for replies..the chemist gave an OTC eye gel drops and eye wipes. Well they are brilliant, so much better than Optrex. Not driving me insane today!!

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:32 pm

I too use lacrilube at night - it's too thick to use during the day but is very good. I also use Thealoz eye drops during the day and find them great.

I have a scratch on my right cornea that keeps re-occurring - OMG it's so annoying!!!! Plus, I work on a computer also - the only bonus being we don't have central heating in the office(!) That irritates my eyes no end. As was prev said, computer work is definitely related, you blink less and the eyes dry - that's why glasses rather than contacts are recommended for computer work...

annieoakley - I too find that my eye gets irritated in the shower - heat and steam I guess....

I was in London recently and nearly lost my mind with pain - air conditioning on plane, cold winds, that bloody breeze that is in the tube station before the train arrives - it was like needles in my eye that night as I tried to fall asleep...

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 am

Just wondering why your doctor didn't prescribe you special eye-drops or a gel? You're saying you spend much time in front of the monitor, but do you wear glasses? I mean special computer glasses to relieve pain and tension?

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:09 pm

what about just simple eye-drops that your workplace should give you? everybody who works in an office, should get good conditions to work without any problems like dry eyes... eyes-drops should be in first-aid kit in every workplace.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:52 pm

It is always better to consult with a doctor since our eyes are a delicate body part.