Author

Post subject: Anniversary gifts?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Do you give them? Expect them?

DH and I are 7 years married tomorrow and I haven't got him a gift - he normally gets me flowers which I love getting but I feel bad that I can't think of what to give him.

Just curious what others do.

Post subject: Re: Anniversary gifts?
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:14 pm

We normally get each other small tokens, am always surprised when others send us gifts or money, I'd never think of anyone elses anniversary :blush:

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm

We might go out for something to eat or get a chinese or something, but I think this year it passed by with one of us saying in passing "Oh this day four years we got married". We never get cards anymore (we are 11 years together and 4 married). We should really make more of an effort.

I never get anyone else a card or gift, or have never got one from anyone (including parents etc)

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:21 pm

We usually try to do something small along the lines of the traditional present for that anniversary. Must check what this year's is, our is next week.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 pm

I think for our first we got each other gifts, probably went out for our second, then we started having babies and that was the end of that! :lol: One year I actually completely forgot about it until DH reminded me that evening. :blush: We really should make more of an effort.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Don't bother with presents. We usually go out for dinner that weekend. Have never had anyone remember my anniversary except for Mum and MIL who might say it to me but wouldn't send a card or a gift. I'd have thought it weird to get a card from someone else tbh.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:59 pm

No, just out to dinner too. Good ol' MIL sends a card though I think it's actually to remind DH!

Mum to a big girl of 10 and a smaller girl of 8!!

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:00 am

7 years is traditionally wool or copper. Does he need a new jumper? Nice wooly hat or a willy warmer, maybe?

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:50 am

Mum2SevenExodus wrote:
7 years is traditionally wool or copper. Does he need a new jumper? Nice wooly hat or a willy warmer, maybe?

Haha!

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:51 am

No present it is then. And no I don't send cards to other people. My mum gives us one though which I find odd.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:23 am

We don't get presents anymore but always go out for dinner (since the babies arrived it might be one of the only nights out we have per year:-0) If it falls at a weekend, we might go away for a weekend if we can persuade someone to babysit.

My MIL however, is completely old school re marriage and is frankly appalled by divorce, separation, living 'in sin' etc - basically anything that falls outside the parameters of 'man meets woman, gets married, has babies'. She's elderly so this is not going to change. Every year she sends us an anniversary card with €100 in it :-0 She never marks our birthdays or any other occasion, just our wedding anniversary. It's very generous but so weird don't ye think? I feel like it's some kind of annual financial incentive for remaining married to her son!

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:41 am

Why do you think it's weird that your mum gives you an anniversary card??

We don't do anniversary presents here. To be honest, we barely mark it usually. Yesterday we were married 7 years :biggrin:

During the week MIL rang to say she would babysit for us on Saturday night so we could go out - both of us had forgotten! So it really was an unexpected treat. She also gave us a card and some money (she really is a pet). So for the first time in a long time we had a gorgeous dinner out in town.

My family don't remember but I don't expect them to!

A couple of years DH got flowers which are lovely, but I don't mind if he doesn't either, as I don't get anything!!!

DD was really into it this year, kept saying happy anniversary etc :biggrin:

M/s 17/04/09 Edd 22/10/09

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 am

We give each other cards. (Actually I have a stash of old cards and we re-use them :blush: so technically we put up cards on the mantelpiece but they are recycled from the previous anniversary)

DH would buy me chocolates, I don't buy him anything but I share the chocolates. :biggrin:

My parents and DH parents give anniversary cards, also my bridesmaid.

I send cards to my parents, PILs and my bridesmaid as she's so good at remembering mine!

It's nice to exchange cards, we'd usually have a nice takeaway meal to mark the occasion too, but don't go all-out.

Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:33 am

we were 8 years last week, mil and my mum send cards and chocs! i used to get dh a card every year and would get annoyed when he didn't get me one, he's not great with cards so i've stopped now. i did get a lovely bunch of flowers and he got a double decker :lol:

mind you it's the same with christmas/birthdays , we both have what we want, we don't need anything and if we do we are lucky that we can get it whenever we want (within reason) so i don't feel the need for anniversary gifts...anymore

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 am

I am more of an experience gift giver :) I love to organize surprises for my husband, for his birthday and our anniversary. This year I have called a Queen Street Wedding & Car Hire http://queenstcarhire.com.au/and arranged him a ride in his favorite car, Lamborghini! He was so excited :)