Author

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 am

Anyone had this done. Want to keep our conservatory but get a lightweight and warmer roof installed.
Looking for recommendations and rough cost.
Conservatory is about 12ft x 12ft

Also need to conservatory door adjusted as it has dropped and there is a gap at the bottom letting a draught in- anyone know someone to fix?

DD2- 7

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Would love some feedback also

It's soooo cold in winter - waste of a room :cold: :cold: :cold:

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Bump

I want to be - :sweatdrop:

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Yes I'm interested also, in Summer it's too hot and it's freezing in Winter. I agree that it's a waste of a room, ours is the play room. I had those very expensive blinds fitted to the roof a few years ago- waste of money! :bomb: and I have had two electric heaters fitted too. There is definitely a draft in ours too so maybe it's the doors too. Very annoying.
Even in the next room you can feel the freezing air coming through under the door. We are very exposed and it's really cold.
Wonder is it impossible though to change the structure, our has a high pointed roof at the end of the house. It was here when we moved in. Such a pity it isn't a sunroom
With proper roof! :-(

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Sorry I'm of no help.... but against all my wishes last spring I had to agree to fit double doors between our kitchen and sunroom. I always wanted a more 'open plan' style, but during the winter the sunroom drained all the heat from the kitchen. It has lots of glass and a high roof, and was always freezing in winter (and too hot in the summer). It made a big difference- the kitchen is far warmer.

A friend of mine got a portable gas stove for her sunroom, and that helped. I think there might be a thread on MM about the same thing.

Good luck with it.

P

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:00 pm

I have one of those provence gas heaters I use but it's like a walk in freezer in winter.

Just googled and found this.

www.matrixenergy.ie/conversion.htm

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Cool,thanks just filled in the form for free quotation.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:28 pm

DH supplies product to replace glass conservatory roofs. It's lightweight, no need to touch existing glass expect the roof. It's is fully insulated and looks like a tiled roof when finished. PM if you want further details.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi Ladies,
I've had this prob too, now the roof on mine is a proper roof with 3 velux windows but there were huge draughts in the room and I basically closed it off to Siberia for the winter, total bloody waste of a much needed room I can tell you! So anyway, I got some advice (from Matrix energy guy) to buy "Tec 7" silicone and basically seal the complete outside of the conservatory, in some parts the man doing the work had to fill gaps with insultation wool, had no idea the gaps were so huge. We also sealed any parts we could inside too, like under the window sills, sides of the window frames etc. Its not tropical but we are sitting in it, next job is to have a new door seal fitted on the exterior door and we should be snug and cosy. Will work out to cost me under €100. Honestly I wish I had known of that T7 stuff years ago. Hope this helps, let me know if you find it helpful, I feel like I have a new house!
Garcon

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:51 pm

tups can you let us know more. I have a conservatory that is too hot in summer as op and freezing in winter. its now a play room, i got a new gas boiler installed and it is much warmer in winter. I have double doors between the house and my kitchen. would love a roof installed and an approx cost. think mine is 12 x 12 as well

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:39 pm

No prob littleredcar if you PM your email address I can send you a brochure, regarding price, it depends what finish you want on the inside. Basically it turns your conservatory into sunroom with light weight roof.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:35 pm

We have replaced our conservatory roof with a new glass one by royal covers. We've also put in underfloor heating which has hardly come on. The conservatory has been a constant 20-21 degrees so far this winter which is the best we've ever had it. On sunny days the glare is much reduced.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:25 am

We have long decided what to do with our conservatory. As a result, we came to a non-standard solution. We built a separate construction. For the basis took milking sheds tasmania. Instead of part of the sliding doors installed long windows. The result was a solid construction + free room in the house.