Author

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Actually Ijab - marking depends on the questions for junior cert and leaving cert.
Full marks are awarded in many instances for a correct answer without showing work.
However, showing all your work will get you at least attempt marks if not more depending on the seriousness of mistakes, whether they are only punished once for each mistake etc. It is all set out in the marking schemes for each exam.

This is particularly important for those not great at maths and can be the difference between them passing and failing.

Lazydayz - it could be the way she is being taught - seeing a different method could help your daughter. Many aspects of maths have different methods to arrive at the same result and a good grinds teacher will try different methods if the current one is not clicking with a pupil.
Unless a particular method is specifically asked for in an exam situation different ones will be accepted for full marks where there are different methods.

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I agree with Tipperarylass on confidence. I have seen students improve so much once they started getting the hang of anything at all. An improvement in one area of maths gave them confidence or belief in themselves that they can also do the rest of it.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Update on this, I found a really nice maths teacher and she is doing two hours a week with her for 5 weeks. So far there isn't that much she didnt understand and yes I was told she needs to improve her confidence which is happening through the grinds. So glad I got her the extra help. I will meet with the teacher in september and keep a close eye on how she is getting on. Any more fails and I will get her one grind a week for as long as she needs it.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:46 pm

aw that's fantastic. you've the right thing and it sounds like confidence is the key. i see it all the time in maths. it is important that she has the core first year topics covered. the syllabus is so large now that teachers don't get the chance to revise much.

delighted for you :thumbsup:

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:28 pm

anyone looking for the ph number of the guy in kingswood tallaght for grinds pm me and i'll give it too you.

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:11 am

What about talking to her teacher? Teachers usually can give good advice how to improve certain subject knowledge, I would consult her anyways. Private tutor and printed spreadsheets can be excellent helpers, I know this from my experience.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:36 am

I advise you not to leave this case. You have to help your daughter. Hire a math tutor. This is a good way to increase knowledge on this subject. I can help you find a good tutor. I advise you this site EzyMath https://www.ezymathtutoring.com.au/tuto ... north-3068. Professionals work there. I was convinced of this when I hired a math tutor for my son. He also had problems with mathematics. Now mathematics is his favorite subject. These words mean a lot to me. I'm happy with the result!

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous   1, 2