Author

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:15 pm
Going to Paris for first time and can't wait. It's such a big city - thinking of doing a bus tour on the first day, as it will be hard to see the main things for such short time if we do it on our own.

Looking for tips, what to see first, what too see only if there is time left, any advise welcome! Am I on the right track with the bus tour?

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Sorry haven't got any tips went once on a flying visit while on honeymoon but jsut wanted to post to say have a grat time and I'm soooooooooooooooooo jealous :biggrin:

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Hi HappyHippo!

Normally I'd say "Yes" to a bus tour, because we usually do one when we're on a short visit to a city, but I'm not so sure about Paris, firstly because it's actually really easy to get around, secondly most of the sights you will want to go in to, rather than just look at from the outside, iykwim? Plus you do have four days, so it's not so bad!

Obviously, the first, the Eiffel Tower - do it. I've always loved it, it's magical to be at the actual tower that you've only ever seen in photos, plus the view is AMAZING!

I also love the Sacre Coeur church, up on the hill by Montmartre. If you go in the evening time, the Church itself is lit up, and it's beautiful. You can get a funicular railway up to the top of the hill (otherwise it's about 2 million steps..okay, slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean!). At the top, there's "balconies" over looking Paris, and in the evening/dusk, it's really beautiful and romantic looking out at Paris, you've the Eiffel Tower all lit up, plus you sort of look at Paris itself, you look out over windows, and roofs and houses, and buildings, and see a whole city full of life. If you go to mass/church, the Sacre Couer is worth a visit, although the last time I was there (which is 5 years ago) it was gone quite dilapidated. I used to go to 10pm Saturday night mass there (in a "past life"!!) - it was all in French, but it was lovely, very spiritual.

What else?? If this is your first time, and you want to see what Paris is famous for..you've so much choice. You probably should go down to the Louvre, see the controversial pyramid on the outside, then go inside to see the Mona Lisa (just to say you've seen it for real!) and the "venus de Milo" I think it's called..something like that (I'm tired). It's a famous sculpture that you will recognise immediately, I promise! The other areas in the Louvre are what you personally might enjoy - I enjoyed the State Rooms - where they have the rooms from Versailles laid out, so you can see exactly how it would have looked! I really enjoyed them.

Ooh..have to go, sorry, will come back later (my ds3 has just woken up crying..why??). talk later.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:46 pm

I would suggest taking a 'Bateau Mouche' (boat trip) along the Seine (you get them near the Eiffel Tower), its lovely, you get to see the city sites and relax. Its usually chilly on them though - so bring a top/jumper!

The best thing to do in Paris is to stroll around soaking in the atmosphere. Sit in a cafe preferably outside and watch the world (in Paris :D ) go by. (From the Arc de Triomphe, all the way down the Champs Elysees, across Place de la Concorde and into the Jardins des Tuileries is a great, long, walk! :biggrin: )

If you are into museums you will be spoiled for choice :biggrin: Obviously the Louvre is the big one BUT its massive and can be huge and over-whelming when you go there first, so its really hard to see one-tenth of whats in it in a day. A much easier-to-get-around-in-a-short-space-of-time museum is the Musee d'Orsay. Its quieter, brighter and full of beautiful 19th century paintings and sculpture - so brilliant if you like the Impressionists etc.

Versailles is brilliant but its a train journey out of the city centre and you would probably spend several hours or an entire day out there.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy - its FAB, FAB, FAB!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

M/s 17/04/09 Edd 22/10/09

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:50 pm

I second the boat tour :bigups:
The eiffel tower is truely magical,its lovely at night time viewing the city down below.

It is a lovely city to wander around,I had a lovely time when I went.
Enjoy :biggrin:

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:49 am

NewMrs wrote:
From the Arc de Triomphe, all the way down the Champs Elysees, across Place de la Concorde and into the Jardins des Tuileries is a great, long, walk! :biggrin:

That is one of my favourites walks too..was going to suggest this also!!! And stopping for a cafe au lait in some little bar, just to refuel! Make sure to stop in nice cafes and bars, because it's what Paris is all about.

Also, my favourite (like New Mrs) is the Musée d'Orsay..I love it totally, much prefer it to the Louvre. And I have a set route that I get to see all my favourites! But it depends on what your needs are..the Louvre is the most recognisable, esp for the first time being in Paris, because you'll know it from all you've seen about Paris. If you do the Louvre, just decide on what you want to do in it..once when we were there, we decided on the State Rooms, the Egyptian area and the Venus de Milo (having seen the Mona Lisa before).

YOu lucky thing..four full days in Paris! I'm managing to squeeze in one night there in October..I'm even excited about that.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:12 pm

You lucky thing I'd love to go back to Paris soon!

I loved the Louvre, we spent nearly a full day in it, there are so many amazing things to see.

I'd also recommend visiting the Eiffel Tour in the evening as you can see all the lights of the city below you.

We also got the train out to Disneyland for the day, it was just dp & I and we had a ball!

Enjoy :D

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:51 pm

Definitely agree with the boat trip rather than the bus. Buy a carnet of tickets for the metro (you can buy a carnet of 10) for zones 1 and 2 and then get a separate ticket to take you from the airport; don't buy a bunch of tickets that will take you into the farther zones because everything is more or less central.

If you're doing just one gallery, I'd do the Musee D'Orsay. The Orangerie in the Jardin de Luxembourg (I think?) is great too and very quick; it's just a couple of rooms with large wall-to-wall Monet paintings; the building was designed to house these particular paintings. It's fabulous. You can (or could last year) buy a pass which allows you skip queues and will give you entrance into a lot of these museums and it's worth doing, even if you're only going to two or three. You can also get in to the air museum and see a Concorde with that pass. I can't remember where exactly the air museum is but it's an easy bus ride. Your carnet of tickets will work on the bus as well as the metro.

You didn't say (or if you did I didn't see - I'm having a bad day today!) whether you've kids with you and if so, their ages. If you have youngish kids there's a great playground in the Jardin de Luxembourg; you've to pay to get in but it's not desperately dear and it is worth paying into, at least we thought so. Our kids spent a very happy afternoon there and I know an American mother while I was there was giving out yards at having to pay, but I suppose they're used to excellent playgrounds and we're not so to us it was worth paying for.

The Arc de Triomphe is worth going up and if you've a buggy, you can ask when you're paying and they'll let you up in the lift rather than having to climb the stairs. It's fascinating looking over the edge and watching the traffic; there are no lanes in the circle around the Arc de Triomphe and it's basically a free for all; it's very busy and I suppose they're using the new theory that if you remove road signs from busy areas, drivers are more careful and there are less accidents. Either way it's fascinating.

Definitely go up the Eiffel Tower and aim to go up in the late afternoon an hour before dusk, that way you can see Paris during the day and then watch as the lights come on as dusk falls. Watch what queue you get into, some queues are only for walking up and others are for the lifts. You can choose to go up to the first viewing area or continue on to the second. The view from the second is very similar to the first but I think it's still worth doing. Be prepared to queue for the lifts coming down too, depending on the time of day. Obviously the queue will be busier at weekends.

As someone else said, it would take you months to do the Louvre properly; we just saw the Egyptian area, the Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo and the Renaissance painters - da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael. They've fantastic paintings. We felt the younger kids were being brought to too many museums so DD1 and myself went out one evening when the Louvre was opened late and we had a second visit and did the art; on the first visit we just did the Egyptian area.

There are great shops along the Champs Elysees with Ferrari racecars, etc., - if you've boys they'll love that.

The area around St. Michel and St. Germain near Notre Dame is great for a stroll. It's worth going up the steps to Notre Dame too.

We went for a week last year, but about two years ago we went just for two days, one day in Paris and one day in Disneyland. On our one day in Paris we climbed the steps to Notre Dame, climbed the steps up the Arc de Triomphe, walked all around the place and climbed the steps to Sacre Coeur. How we walked around Disneyland the next day I don't know!

Oh, Montmartre just around the Sacre Coeur area is great for a walk. Watch out for the artists, they'll hassle you to let you draw and sometimes will get you talking, start doing a quick sketch and then ask for 40 or 60 euro for it. We ended up buying a cartoon of DD1 because we were sort of embarrassed into it and then found out she hated it (we asked but she "didn't like to be rude"). :blush:

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:37 pm
some excellent tips! mm is better then travel guide :biggrin:

thanks so much! and keep them comming :), can't wait to go now!

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Oh you will have great time. I lvoe Paris :inlove: , went there for my honeymoon for a few days.

There is so much to see and do, everywhere you go its decorated beatifully :D . We did the Eiffle Tower the first time we were there with kids in tow. Couldnt go to the top floor as it was too bust, onyl got to middle one. Be prepared to que, we didnt bother going back when we were there on our own. We did the Lourve instead!!!!!!!! I was soooo excited about going there. Loved it, we didnt even get to see half of it and we were in it nealry a whole day :lol: .
Try pick up a little paris guide book that you can pop in your bag, hand for navigating your way around. I had one with me and it came in handy.

Enjoy yourself :thumbsup:

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Hello Allen,
Last year I have visited Paris with my friends, it is so beautiful.

The ascent of the Eiffel Tower is a must to enjoy the magnificent view of Paris. You can visit Notre-Dame de Paris, also known as Notre Dame, a Roman Catholic cathedral is located on the eastern half of the Ile de la Cité. It is widely considered one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture in France and Europe.

These are some places you should visit any Paris.