Author

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello,

Am hoping some tax/ revenue/ welfare savvy people might be able to help me!

So, I got a new job (working from home, 20 hours per week, fixed working week & salary etc) in a voluntary organisation. I have yet to sign the contract, draft being sent in a few days.

My new employers wish me to invoice them 'my fees' every month (as a contractor might) and to do my own tax returns etc (self assess). My fees will be my monthly salary - it will be fixed. My working week is fixed. I will be entitled to all standard employee rights - statutory probation, annual leave. sick leave, notice etc.

Doing this obviously benefits them in some way. But I want to know what the repercussions for me might be?

- as an employee (on stated salary) I will be entitled to FIS - but as they want me to invoice them (as a contractor might) and self assess does this mean I will not be entitled to FIS?
- can I self assess without hiring an accountant? (- as this will cost me)
- am I still insured by my employer if I am self assessing?

Will I be losing out in any other way? Any benefits?!

Many thanks :D

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:48 pm

It sound a bit weird to me. If you are invoicing fees and paying in one tax rather than PAYE then it sounds more like you are self employed than an employee. I'd be a bit wary as in that case you'd have no employee rights to holidays , insurance, FIS or anything. I would get them to clarify it for you.
Doing the tax return is no big deal, you can do it yourself, I did my mothers yesterday.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:02 pm

I've been doing a lot of research. Just because I would be doing my own tax returns doesn't necessarily mean I am self employed, which was my main worry. To be self employed you have to meet certain criteria, which I don't apart from one = self assessment. Whereas, I meet all the employee criteria!

It's interesting as it's not black and white.

I think I will be ok but will wait for draft contract and then get in touch with Revenue for clarification.

Thanks again.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:47 pm

Definitely query that with Revenue. A lot of trying to get around the employee tag from companies going on and Revenue don't like it!

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Ring the revenue helpline and ask them.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Thanks. Once I receive draft contract, will contact the Revenue.

May I ask, why would a company/organisation want to get around the 'employee' tag besides not having to pay employer's PRSI.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Other employee rights like holiday pay, sick pay (not compulsory but some pay it), redundancy entitlements in the future maybe, there might be more but I can't think of them. Less paperwork and hassle in general for the company.