Author

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:45 pm

A situation we have never been in but it looks like my husband will loose his job and my contract is up in a few months.

Can we both sign on or will be assessed jointly?

Would be be eligible for a GP visit card or medical card if both us are out of work? We have 2 children at school, one with special needs.

Am sick to the stomach thinking about all this and how we will survive with no salary coming in. My husband has never been out of work and it's about 12 years since I had to sign on.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:46 pm

You will be assessed jointly, it's about €188 for first adult €128 for dependant adult and €29 per child per week. You will definitely be entitled to a medical card.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks for that . If we end up in that situation things will be very tight. Will need to look at changing our mortgage to interest only

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm

Its 372 a week for a family of 4 on JSA. Im not sure if its any extra for JSB.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Thebluecar wrote:
You will be assessed jointly, it's about €188 for first adult €128 for dependant adult and €29 per child per week. You will definitely be entitled to a medical card.

This is for Jobseekers Allowance which is means tested. You should be applying for jobseekers benefit which is PRSI based and you should each get €188 and split the €29 per child per week.

You may qualify for Carers Benefit and or Carers Allowance as you have a child with special needs in which case one of you could claim Jobseekers plus the adult dependent allowance and the other can get a half rate Carers payment as well.

Maybe call the Citizens Information helpline they should be able to bring you through the various combinations.