Author

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:49 pm

A group of us will celebrate a significant birthday in the same year and want to set up a savings fund, where we all set up a direct debit into one account and use the money when the time comes to go away for a big trip...

is this possible? do any banks offer it as an option? there wouldn't be huge money going into it...and the idea would be there would be no withdrawals until the end... any thoughts?

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:01 pm

I did it before but just used a savings account I had and everyone put the money in every month. They all trust me lol. Worked great

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:09 pm

was thinking of that... but was thinking what if something happened me?

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:13 pm

sadie wrote:
was thinking of that... but was thinking what if something happened me?

You can leave all the money to me in your will. They won't mind if you put how special I am to you.

I am in floods already. I promise to say nice stuff at the funeral. :cry: Doves shall be released and fuck it, I'll even whistle Danny Boy.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Lol you nutcase. Get back over to the pet forum :-p

My Dh knew the money was there for them so I suppose he would have just given it back (I hope!). Now that j think of it I still have a couple of people putting money in there (for the next one!!) I better have another chat.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:27 am

credit union let you open up small accounts like this,check them out,you need two people to sign on it.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Good idea... friends and I were talking about this the other day. One of them knew some girls who set up a "40 for 40" club, where they each put in €40 a month to go away somewhere really nice when they had all hit 40. In my group I've already hit the big 5 0 and others follow in a few years. We think we'll go somewhere nice like New York or a cookery/wine few days in Tuscany. I have an account that we could use, with nothing else in it, once the others trust me to do that. Alternatively set up a new joint account with all parties named on the account.

Separately I have a christmas fund in work that I run. We have an account that we set up, that everyone knows the account number of, and we all put in whatever we want, but it's a set amount over 10 months, Feb to November. I put in €120 now (have been upping my amount slowly), so it's great to get €1200 at Christmas time to go towards presents etc. Helps soften the blow. We also have a holiday fund in work (admistered through payroll) and I've been contributing into that for over 30 years now, and it's great.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:23 pm

guys at work have just opened a credit union account for a group of us. They had to have two of them sign it. and all members of the group signed to say how much they put in each week.

Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Cool, will check out the credit union..