Author

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm

I need to stop a direct debit.

I wrote to my bank asking for a stop to be put on it and they said that because the mandate is with the collector, they can still collect it.

I wrote to the collector (enclosing the letter to my bank) and gave an instruction that the direct debit was to be stopped but they have still debited my account :ablow:

So what do I need to do to stop the DD being collected - realistically I can't close the bank account, surely there's a simple way to stop this?

Thanks

BRU

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 pm

You can ring the bank and telll them you want to rescind the payment and then make sure the receiving party stop it for next time.
I did that wehn Bord gais too 199 E out of my bank for boiler service when i had agreed to pay 12e a month. they returned the 199 for me.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 pm

The collector really has to put a stop to it. If you have online banking you might be able to cancel the payment that way (i was able to do this with boi recently) but I'd get back on to the payee and maybe register a letter to them. Infuriating that they ignored your letter.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 pm

It shouldn't be requested by the company. It's a contractual agreement with you & company, the bank are only facilitaters. Once it has gone out you can go onto the bank & recall it by filling in a dd indemnity form. It used to be that you had to do the form the next day but this may have changed with sepa

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:19 pm

When did you contact the bank? They gave th ability to cancel the dd by returning it unpaid when it's presented but you're also to cancel it with the originator.
I can cancel my direct debits online and also with the originator but some companies can simply reinstate them on the account without you being aware. Some of our mobile phone providers are notorious for this!
In the meantime if I were you I'd call the bank and tell them you dispute this dd. under the dd guarantee the bank are supposed to reimburse you and take the matter up with the originator. I can't remember if there is a time limit on thus though. This is even moreso since you cancelled the dd and I'm assuming you gave both parties time to act on your instructions.
Don't let them fob you off either. It is part of the direct debit guarantee for the consumer.

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 pm

When did you contact the bank? They gave th ability to cancel the dd by returning it unpaid when it's presented but you're also to cancel it with the originator.
I can cancel my direct debits online and also with the originator but some companies can simply reinstate them on the account without you being aware. Some of our mobile phone providers are notorious for this!
In the meantime if I were you I'd call the bank and tell them you dispute this dd. under the dd guarantee the bank are supposed to reimburse you and take the matter up with the originator. I can't remember if there is a time limit on thus though. This is even moreso since you cancelled the dd and I'm assuming you gave both parties time to act on your instructions.
Don't let them fob you off either. It is part of the direct debit guarantee for the consumer.

Here are the IPSO guidelines... See halfway down under The Collection of a Direct Debit.
http://www.ipso.ie/section/directdebitscheme

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:41 pm

cantwait wrote:

Here are the IPSO guidelines... See halfway down under The Collection of a Direct Debit.
http://www.ipso.ie/section/directdebitscheme

Thanks cantwait (and everyone else) I'll have a read of that. As it's not a SEPA payment I can't get the unique mandate reference etc. to cancel it online. When I phoned the originator, they refused to give me any information and said I had to write to them to modify the payment. I wrote to both them and my own bank about 10 days ago so I would have thought it was plenty of time?

Will contact both my bank and the originator tomorrow and see how I get on. I can see myself having a battle with the originator so we'll see what happens

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 pm

i had the opposite problem about a year ago. I set up a direct debit but i kept getting letters saying the DD mandate had never been set up with the bank - the bank said they never received it from the company involved. I ended up sending 3 letters and cc'ing everything to both parties and finally getting resolution. It was maddening so i can only imagine how frustrating cancelling it must be.

Write to the company involved to cancel the dd, cc it to your bank and perhaps send it by registered post.