Author

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Advice, experiences please!

We have a Phonewatch alarm system the past three years, paying €25p/m for the monitoring service. Our contract is up on March 10th, I got the renewal letter this morning and apparently the monthly monitoring service is now €27.79 and if we want the service pack with that (as our system is out of warranty) it goes up to €41.54.

My understanding is that the alarm will work away anyway without being monitored, it just means we won't get a call if it does go off. Is it worth €27.79 pm? Are there any other companies that provide monitoring for this system or does it have to be phonewatch? Any other cheaper options for monitoring?

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:42 pm

We went monitoring only with Phonewatch last July. It cost €195 for the year (€16.25 per month). They don't advertise it and when I rang to ask about it, it took them a week to send me a letter about it. It's been fine and we are very happy with it. I had free monitoring for 3 years prior to that as part of the offer when we got the system in so prior to last July I paid for a full service, battery change etc. The engineer advised that in his opinion a 3 yearly service is adequate so in 2 years time I will get that again.
I am much happier with a monitored service. I would not go back to non-monitored again.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi there,

I don't have an Eircom alarm, but I had a text dialler installed with my standard alarm. I think they are only a couple of hundred euro and there is no on going charge then apart from text messages on your phone bill if the alarm is set off.

HTH

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi Mrs. Snow,

We have an alarm system that, once activated phones up to 3 numbers to let us know the alarm is going off and gives us the option of resetting the alarm, so that it doesn't just keep ringing out. If it doesn't get an answer from the 1st contact on the list (my husband) it phones the next number on the list (me). Our alarm engineer set it up that way and there are no running costs involved. HTH.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Do you still get the same discount on your house insurance for having a phone/alarm system instead of a 'call centre' monitored alarm system?

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:53 pm

No we don't get a discount for having the alarm at all. DH wants to forget the monitoring for now and save the money. What companies did you use for the text alerts?

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:09 pm

You can't change a Phonewatch alarm from being monitored by Phonewatch to another monitoring company, something I found out a year or two back when we considered doing just that. It's Phonewatch or nothing, the way their system is installed. I spoke to a number of other alarm companies and heard the same thing.

In my opinion, there's little point in an unmonitored alarm, or one that doesn't send out an alert of some kind. I am a bit miffed that we're stuck with Phonewatch but with the significant increase in burglaries in our area I'm not going to give that up any time soon.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi,

I was with P*onewatch too and moved to another company a few years ago as it was considerably cheaper. They just told me I needed the Engineer's code, which I happened to have, in order to switch over. If you don't have it, you can get it from your monitoring company but sometimes they charge you for it :bomb:

I suppose it depends on the company. Anyway once I had moved, I got several calls and a letter from their customer buy back team offering me much more competitive rates so maybe give them a call to see if they can work out a better deal with you before moving.

HTH

C

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:02 pm

peppa pig wrote:
We had monitoring from alarm company but nothing at moment want to look into getting it sorted to either text or ring us when it goes off. Wonder how much it will costs to do that ?

Talking to someone who was looking into alarms recently and they were told by a local garda that they were wasting money getting a monitored system as they simply do not have the numbers on each shift to reply to all alarm calls and that they are way down the priority list for call outs.

That wouldn't stop me having a monitored alarm. I would like to know if our alarm has gone off while we are not at home. Also our 2 immediate neighbours are keyholders so if I don't answer the call from Phonewatch they get a call. One of them is semi-retired and home most of them time so he would come and look the house over if the alarm goes off.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:33 pm

we got my dad a text alert type one about 3yrs ago. its great. its rings me if tge akarm goes off. think it was 800euro and no charge after that monthly or whatever.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Last edited by Savvyshopper on Sat May 17, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:42 pm

PopArtMum wrote:
Hi Mrs. Snow,

We have an alarm system that, once activated phones up to 3 numbers to let us know the alarm is going off and gives us the option of resetting the alarm, so that it doesn't just keep ringing out. If it doesn't get an answer from the 1st contact on the list (my husband) it phones the next number on the list (me). Our alarm engineer set it up that way and there are no running costs involved. HTH.

Sorry to butt in, but this system sounds good.
Who is it with? Or please pm if you prefer.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:01 pm

cartoon wrote:
Hi,

I was with P*onewatch too and moved to another company a few years ago as it was considerably cheaper. They just told me I needed the Engineer's code, which I happened to have, in order to switch over. If you don't have it, you can get it from your monitoring company but sometimes they charge you for it :bomb: C

Interesting. It wasn't Phonewatch who told me, it was the other companies that I rang. It was something to do with the system we have; something complicated to do with how the monitoring is set up that according to the other firms was not possible to transfer across.

Any chance you'd PM me the name of the company you're with now? I'd love to have another option, even to bargain a better deal with Phonewatch!

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:11 pm

Why not just post the company name here? Lots of people seem interested!

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:17 pm

tbh i never like the phonewatch idea. it means your poor neighbours are lumbered with checking for undesireables. what if they were in the house when your nice neighbour entered? it seems like to pay a. impany exhorbitant rates fir them to shirk the job!

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:27 pm

You choose the keyholders. My parents are the main ones, but our own mobiles are also listed. No neighbours involved in our case. In fact, because the alarm only sounds inside the house, with no external bell, it's a lot more neighbour-friendly than the ones that go off for ages and disturb everyone.

I don't know of many domestic monitored alarms that involve the alarm company themselves sending out staff. That's usually a much more expensive business security arrangement. So most other domestic alarms that have monitoring are the same in that they contact nominated keyholders, either through a contact centre or with an automatic message to a mobile phone. I am one of the automatically-notified people for my neighbours and I have no problem checking up when they're away and the alarm goes off.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:06 pm

my fil does very competitive price for monitoring and he has had plenty of phonewatch alarms transfered over to him
his company is "b at ease " 087 677 3873 his name is joe

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:34 am

peppa pig wrote:
We had monitoring from alarm company but nothing at moment want to look into getting it sorted to either text or ring us when it goes off. Wonder how much it will costs to do that ?

Talking to someone who was looking into alarms recently and they were told by a local garda that they were wasting money getting a monitored system as they simply do not have the numbers on each shift to reply to all alarm calls and that they are way down the priority list for call outs.

My neighbour set off her panic button alarm by accident, she rang phonewatch to let them know it was an accident, but the gards came anyway to check, according to them, they always check when this type of alarm happens as a burglar could be forcing the individual to call and cancel.
Our local station had closed (with the cutbacks) but they still came within 10-15 minutes. I think unmonitored alarms are useless and simply contribute to noise polution.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:51 am

muffinb wrote:
tbh i never like the phonewatch idea. it means your poor neighbours are lumbered with checking for undesireables. what if they were in the house when your nice neighbour entered? it seems like to pay a. impany exhorbitant rates fir them to shirk the job!

What???? You mean that nice girl from Eircom doesn’t appear at your house to introduce herself to your burglars and then your neighbours and then open the front door for the police???
That amounts to nothing short of false advertising IMHO!!! :lol:

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:57 pm

We have little cameras attached via wifi to our network. I can check cameras at any time and it sends me an alert to my iPhone if any motion or noise is detected. The cameras are at front and back and very easy to set up. Link here

http://steminnovation.com