Author

Post subject: Re: Paye Anytime - Med 1
Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:51 am

Gemam wrote:

Argh if you only knew the pittance I am looking for back...you would think they would take pity on me. 2012 I got 23cent, turns out I hadn't paid any tax as I took some unpaid leave. Single greatest disappointment of my life!

Would your husband have paid tax? He could have claimed it.

DH had to claim our expenses for 2012 as I was on maternity&unpaid leave so didn't have the tax paid to get back

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 am

Quick question, if you are jointly assessed as a married couple, does it matter who makes the claim or does it have to be who incurred the expense? DH earns way more than me and also pays more tax BUT he owes the Revenue money as he there was an underpayment a couple of years ago and this is being deducted from his salary every month. If he makes the claim they will just deduct it off the money he owes. I owe the Revenue nothing but last years medical expenses were incurred by DH when he had to have an operation. Can I claim on his behalf or are we better for him to claim as he pays the higher band of tax?

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:20 pm

barneyrubble wrote:
Would your husband have paid tax? He could have claimed it.

DH had to claim our expenses for 2012 as I was on maternity&unpaid leave so didn't have the tax paid to get back

Thanks Barney but no...he's a SAHD so has no income.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Moomies wrote:
Quick question, if you are jointly assessed as a married couple, does it matter who makes the claim or does it have to be who incurred the expense? DH earns way more than me and also pays more tax BUT he owes the Revenue money as he there was an underpayment a couple of years ago and this is being deducted from his salary every month. If he makes the claim they will just deduct it off the money he owes. I owe the Revenue nothing but last years medical expenses were incurred by DH when he had to have an operation. Can I claim on his behalf or are we better for him to claim as he pays the higher band of tax?

I thought if you are jointly assessed it doesn't matter who makes the claim. If you are separately assessed (not single assessment) then presumably you could claim them. I think you have to apply For separate assessment though.
In the end it's all going to work out the same presumably?

All Medical expenses are now at the standard rate band, and have been for a good few years.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:57 pm

lilycat wrote:
All Medical expenses are now at the standard rate band, and have been for a good few years.

Thanks Lilycat, I wasn't aware of that as thankfully we've all been in reasonable health for the last couple of years so I haven't needed to make a claim, plus I hadn't got my filing up to date so everything was all over the place :blush:

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Quick question in relation to Med 1 as I cannot find the answer on the revenue website....is there an excess? I know the rate is now 20% of expenses but is there an amount excluded from this?

Thanks

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 pm

There is no excess. The only thing you would deduct is anything your health insurance might have reimbursed you for.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 pm

The full 20% wasn't paid on mine, very small % of it actually was paid.

Sent using my MagicMum mobile app

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:41 pm

I finally got mine today.

Sinead, they recalculate everything and issue a balancing statement, so you may have owed money elsewhere, do you get any social welfare payments that are taxable? Or as happened with me last year, I put in a claim but hadn't actually paid any tax doh!

ETA also the balance could be gone into your DHs account (if you have a DH)

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous   1, 2