Author

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:34 pm

I have my maternity benefit application nearly ready to go, just waiting on one document. I am officially on ML since last week as I finished in a contract job but could not apply til I got my last weeks wages and P45. So hopefully I'll get it in the post today or tomorrow at the latest.

Until it comes through I have nothing coming in. I have everything bought for the baby, and enough money left in my current account to pay the bills and DP is working so I won't be stuck but I hate not being able to budget. Also I can't apply for BTSCFA until my maternity benefit is granted. How long can I expect to be waiting? A friend applied in April and only got confirmation in late June, is this normal :shocked:

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:37 pm

It's very quick, they are IMO the most efficient government department (and the most polite!) I had a decision within a couple of working days and the money was in my account (literally) before I knew it.

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:38 pm

That's great to hear, thank you :)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:38 pm

They process them by due date not order received. As you are already in leave so presumably due very soon you shouldn't be waiting too long - and in the plus you'll get a big lump of back pay when it does go through!

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm not due til September but as my job finished at 30 weeks I wasn't really in a position to go looking for another one, the guidelines say my ML will start the day my job finished so I've already accrued over a week. The lump of backpay is already earmarked for our heating oil for the winter but at least we know we'll all be warm whenever it does come, hard to think of cold weather when we have such beautiful sunshine now :)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Yes, they are super fast. Mine was processed and approved in 7 working days. I was late sending it in though, about 2 weeks before I wanted the benefit to start.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:40 pm

Just wondering does anyone have more updated info on this? I applied recently and got a letter confirming they had received my application but would love to know when I'll hear back on a decision. Due for leave to start end of April

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Mine was approved very quickly in dec/ jan time.

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Both times quickly, the first took about 3 weeks and that was with asking for extra information as I worked on the uk. The second time was a matter of days due to my water breaking at 22 weeks as me having to go on leave almost immediately.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Looking back at the dates there I think it was in my bank account around the 29th of July

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:39 pm

The letter confirming receipt of my application was dated 10 January and the letter confirming I had been approved was dated 28 January. First payment in my account 17 February. I did apply very late, so maybe mine went through quicker than normal, but it seems to be pretty quick anyway.

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:09 am

Ron, snowy1 and lady Madonna- was it approved long before you were due to go on leave?
Angelika yours sounds really efficient!
Hoping I'll know the outcome soon as I'll need to figure out something else money wise if I'm refused