Author

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:53 am

Dd is just over one week old.
Her bum is sore.
I don't use wipes just cotton balls and water.
Her pooh is normal seedy yellow however It's kind of fizzy iykwim.
Now I am eating nothing mad at all, no coffee, chocolate or anything too harsh.
Have had eggs, fish, some bacon and lots of good food as dh is off and looking after me.

What can I use, I started using sudocream today hopefully that gives her some relief.

Any other suggestions on food I might have to avoid?

Thanks
Mission

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:17 pm

I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely but I've come across a few mentions of fizzy poo lately as a symptom of a cow's milk protein intolerance. Do you eat much dairy?

We find Bepanthen good for a sore bum.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:27 pm

If her poo is fizzy it sounds like she is getting too much foremilk and not enough hind milk. This used to happen with dd as she had a bad latch and wanted to feed from full boobs all the time and used to fight with my boob when she got to the hind milk and it wasn't coming fast enough. She also fed so often that if I didn't religiously write down which boob she had fed from last, sometimes I would start the wrong boob at the next feed and she would get another load of foremilk instead of the last of the hindmilk left in the other one.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Did you give her any formula at all. Could be lactose or cows milk intolerance. My dd had this and har similar symptoms. We found out at week 3/4 when she was given a bottle as I was back in hospital.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:17 pm

The, er, poo symptoms of too much foremilk and cow's milk protein allergy (true lactose intolerance in a baby is incredibly rare and would mean they couldn't consume any kind of milk, not even breastmilk, as they're all full of lactose) are actually identical - I think it causes much the same thing to go on in the gut and you end up with a windy baby and green frothy poo. A cow's milk allergy would probably produce other symptoms as well, like eczema, though.

Too much foremilk is a more likely, though that's something that might just settle down by itself as your supply regulates - also the baby's still only very wee, and her tiny digestive system is still getting used to actually working on something. Especially as the poo is still mustardy-coloured that could well be the case: I found DS when he was very little occasionally developed weird poo/gassiness and by the time I'd figured out what it might be, it went away by itself. If it doesn't and you're still concerned about it, and especially if it goes green, try the various techniques for making sure the baby gets hindmilk, and only then consider cutting out foods: cow's milk is a common enough allergy but most babies don't have it and there's no point cutting a nutritious food out of your diet for no reason.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Sorry was running out to school above and just Thought I'd repost with our story so that you have an idea of how lactose intolerance can present in infants.
Leedy- you are right about the true lactose intolerance, it is rare in Ireland. Aparently it is common in several African countries
Dd is lactose intolerant and it's so hard to explain to mil and others that she hasn't grown out of it and won't grow out of it completely like so and so down the road ( who developed it after a tummy bug and was cured in 3 weeks) 3 yrs later and they still say to me ah sure she'll grow out of that :bomb:
On the beast feeding thing, I breastfed dd for 2/3 weeks and expressed for a week to dry up milk supply so really haven't a clue about it at all. All i can tell you is Dd was exceptionally hungry and basically screamed for the first 4 weeks with hunger as breastmilk was running through her system before she could feel satisfied. I think I saw gp 3 times and phn called a few days too as her little bum was bleeding from the acid poo. The day she was given the formula bottle she was hysterical And her symptoms worsened so i put her into the car and went back to the maternity hospital. The minute I explained in the baby clinic they they had an idea of what was wrong, and did tests to confirm. She was drinking 30 + oz a day of fluid and wasn't putting on any corresponding weight . Once she got the prescription for Olac she thrived and her bum cleared up within a few days.
I hope it is the foremilk causing this for your baby but if it's not lactose intolerance is not too bad to handle in the first couple of years anyway. The biggest problem is saying no to dd and her wish to just try things. She took some of Ds Easter egg recently and spent the day running to the loo screaming lactose poo, lactose poo.

Last edited by choruna on Fri May 04, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

On the dairy nope not a milk/cheese/yoghurt girl at all, it was even suggested I take calcium supplement.
Re too much foremilk it seems it has to be green for this her pooh is not at all green very normal mustard colour and seedy.
On the little gut maturing - this seems like a good one, she was 2 weeks early and she went down to 6lb on Monday so she is the tiniest of all mine, she was up to 6lb 9oz yesterday so she has to be getting something with fat.
No formula at all her only top ups have been ebm as I have mastitis.
Will get dh to stop in pharmacy and get some bepahthan for her.

So tiny with a sore poor is not good poor little baby

Again thanks
Mission

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Quick Point about the sore bum - my dd had a sore bum when she was v young and it was thrush. The soreness was in patches or spots, not the usual nappy rash. The skin was a little broken too. So we did canesten at nappy change time, just on the patches, and it was gone in 3 days...

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

That's really good weight gain, you'd imagine she's doing well then and it's just a sore bum or thrush as op said. Good luck and hope she's better soon.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Are you engorged still? DS 2 had fizzy bubbly poo the days my milk was still settling down, it wasn't green that often but he still wasn't getting much hind milk. I fed from one side a feed and left the other breast exposed with a muslin square under it and let the excess run off as it were, it settled down after two days but he was around a week old when it happened. I used sudovrean and changed his bum very frequently until it cleared.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Hey babybun my redness and engorgement only went down last night, I have expressed 2 today from left and only direct feeding from left 3 days ago was the last feed.
Are you feeding from one side only am thinking this is what I am going to do, does it work or can it work?

Thanks choruna am delighted with weight gain :biggrin:

Oh it could be thrush alright from anti b's although no white dots or broken skin, wil keep an eye though

Thanks
Mission

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Could be worth trying some canesten 1%, won't do any harm, and if it doesn't improve by day 3 you'll know it's not that. That's what the lactation consultant told me to do.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks Neena

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:25 pm

My DD had what I thought was bad nappy rash as a newborn and I was treating it with sudocrem and nappy rash cream but when the doc saw it at her check up he said straight away it was thrush and prescribed Dactakort (sp?) and it cleared up really quickly.

Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Mark Ellis does his own cream for babies and I swear by it, just check with him it ok for them that small, im sure it is though

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:44 am

Sorry mission I'm only seeing this now. I hope that your DD's nappy rash is healing up.

I'm feeding from right only, my right has a very fast flow and this suits DS2, he hardly sucks for an entire feed, I'm expressing the left three times a day but DS2 has no patience feeding from it as it has a normal flow. I'm not sure how long I'll keep expressing for, all the milk is going into the freezer but I'm reluctant to introduce a bottle yet.

As far as feeds are going DS2 is thriving, lots of weight gain, lots of wet and dirty nappies so it is possible to feed from one side only. I was chatting to a mum i met and she fed her DD for 2.5years from one side, not to mention all the people who replied to my thread on it saying it worked for them too.

I would Prefer to feed both sides as I'm becoming lopsided and in the evenings it would help if I could swap him from side to side during cluster feeds rather than camped out on the right all the time. At the same time feeds are working and DS is far more content feeding from the right so feeds are not stressful so that definitely works for me :)