Author

Post subject: Madeleine McCann news
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07 ... _hp_ref=tw

It's great to see that finally this case is being investigated properly.

Post subject: Re: Madeleine McCann news
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Hopefully it might come to something.

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Here's hoping they can manage to find out what happened to her.

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:12 pm

It would be really encouraging if they reach some kind of breakthrough, however the statements coming from the Portugese and their unwillingness to re-open their investigation based on what the British Crown Prosecution presented to them a few months ago makes that seem as far off as ever.

Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Hopefully with Scotland Yard now investigating they might uncover some new evidence. I have never for one moment believed that Maddie's parents were involved in her disappearence. Hopefully she is still alive and being well looked after by whoever took her.

Laura.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 am

Kate Mc Cann is to travel to Portugal today to face Goncalo Amaral in libel action worth £1m. Hope they screw the bastard for every penny. Neither Kate or Gerry Mc Cann have to give evidence
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/eu ... 73455.html

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:28 pm

I often wonder how she/they have kept their sanity...

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:33 pm

She looks haunted to me, poor poor woman

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Species2 wrote:
It would be really encouraging if they reach some kind of breakthrough, however the statements coming from the Portugese and their unwillingness to re-open their investigation based on what the British Crown Prosecution presented to them a few months ago makes that seem as far off as ever.

Why would they be unwilling to cooperate?

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Kissyfur wrote:
Species2 wrote:

The case was shelved after the McCann's and the group they were travelling with refused to take part in a reconstruction that could demonstrate how all of the various accounts of people, who was where and when, who went to check and which people crossed paths during this period could all be reconciled into a coherent account of the events of that night. Without this exact, cross-checked timeline, it is difficult to know under what circumstances and window of opportunity any abduction could have taken place.

This was made clear during the process of shelving the case, without a reconstruction where all parties demonstrated their version of events in real time, it is impossible to know what scenarios can be included or excluded.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Species2 wrote:
Kissyfur wrote:
Species2 wrote:

The case was shelved after the McCann's and the group they were travelling with refused to take part in a reconstruction that could demonstrate how all of the various accounts of people, who was where and when, who went to check and which people crossed paths during this period could all be reconciled into a coherent account of the events of that night. Without this exact, cross-checked timeline, it is difficult to know under what circumstances and window of opportunity any abduction could have taken place.

This was made clear during the process of shelving the case, without a reconstruction where all parties demonstrated their version of events in real time, it is impossible to know what scenarios can be included or excluded.

Physically take part or provide details so others could recreate. I don't see why written testimony or whatever wouldn't be enough or the same?

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:19 pm

Wasnt it the case though that the Portuguesse police wanted to do a reconstruction 1 yr or so after Madeleines dissaperance?? The police bungled the case from the start by not sealing off the scene, not closing the borders etc, they tried to blacken the Mc Canns name and that of the friends. Its a horrible case. :cry:
Poor child

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:22 pm

clio99 wrote:
Wasnt it the case though that the Portuguesse police wanted to do a reconstruction 1 yr or so after Madeleines dissaperance?? The police bungled the case from the start by not sealing off the scene, not closing the borders etc, they tried to blacken the Mc Canns name and that of the friends. Its a horrible case. :cry:
Poor child

Yes, and I can't blame them not taking part considering the unprofessionalism and bias which Amaral had already demonstrated.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Rambles wrote:
Physically take part or provide details so others could recreate. I don't see why written testimony or whatever wouldn't be enough or the same?

Because the accounts were contradictory and so it was necessary for them to clarify 'on the ground' where they where when they saw etc. such as Jane Tanner's sighting when the other witnesses say they never saw her, Kate's claim that the curtains went 'whooosh' as she entered the room when Gerry also claimed the shutter was actually down when he tried to see if it could be lifted etc.

Here's what the archiving report says:
Quote:
E – About the interest of the reconstruction

Taking into account that there were certain points in the arguidos' and witnesses' statements that revealed, apparently at least, contradiction or that lacked physical confirmation, it was decided to carry out the "reconstruction of the fact", a diligence that is consecrated in article 150 of the Penal Process Code in the sense of duly clarifying, on the very location of the facts, the following very important details, among others:

1 – The physical, real and effective proximity between Jane Tanner, Gerald McCann and Jeremy Wilkins, at the moment when the first person walked by them, and which coincided with the sighting of the supposed suspect, carrying a child. It results, in our perspective, strange that neither Gerald McCann nor Jeremy Wilkins saw her, or the alleged abductor, despite the exiguity of the space and the peacefulness of the area;

2 – The situation concerning the window to the bedroom where Madeleine slept, together with the twins, which was open, according to Kate. It seemed then necessary to clarify if there was a draught, since movement of the curtains and pressure under the bedroom door are mentioned, which, eventually, could be verified through the reconstitution;

3 – The establishment of a timeline and of a line of effective checking on the minors that were left alone in the apartments, given that, if it is believed that such checking was as tight as the witnesses and the arguidos describe it, it would be, at least, very difficult to reunite conditions for the introduction of an abductor in the residence and the posterior exit of said abductor, with the child, namely through a window with scarce space. It is added that the supposed abductor could only pass, through that window, holding the minor in a different position (vertical) from the one that witness JANE TANNER saw (horizontal);

4 – What happened during the time lapse between approximately 6.45/7 p.m. – the time at which MADELEINE was seen for the last time, in her apartment, by a different person (David Payne) from her parents or siblings – and the time at which the disappearance is reported by Kate Healy – at around 10 p.m.;

5 – The obvious and well-known advantages of immediate appreciation of evidence, or in other words, the fulfilment of the principle of contiguity of evidence in order to form a conviction, as firm as possible, about what was seen by Jane Tanner and the other interposers, and, eventually, to dismiss once and for all any doubts that may subsist concerning the innocence of the missing [child's] parents.

In this sense, the legal procedures were followed, according to the norms and conventions that are in force, and the appearance of the witnesses was requested, inviting them to be present inclusively appealing to solidarity with the McCann couple, as it is certain that since the beginning they adhered to that process diligence.

Nevertheless, despite national authorities assuming all measures to render their trip to Portugal viable, for unknown motives, after the many doubts that they raised about the necessity and opportunity of their trip were clarified several times, they chose not to attend, which rendered the diligence inviable.

We believe that the main damage was caused to the McCann arguidos, who lost the possibility to prove what they have protested since they were constituted arguidos: their innocence towards the fateful event; the investigation was also disturbed, because said facts remain unclarified.

in: Processo 201/07.0 GALGS - Volume XVII - pages 4636-4638 (Public Prosecutor's Archiving Dispatch)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Riam wrote:
clio99 wrote:
Poor child

Yes, and I can't blame them not taking part considering the unprofessionalism and bias which Amaral had already demonstrated.

Amaral was already off the case by this stage, it was the new team led by Paulo Rebelo who finally requested the reconstruction.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Species2 wrote:
Riam wrote:
clio99 wrote:
Poor child

Amaral was already off the case by this stage, it was the new team led by Paulo Rebelo who finally requested the reconstruction.

Yes, but Amaral may have only been symptomatic of many of the team, plus they'd already been burned once. Amaral should have been taken off the case long before he was, so their level of confidence in the Portuguese authorities must have been very limited.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:43 pm

By all accounts the damage was done before the new guy took over, between their shoddy & lazy approach to the case, their annimosity to the Mc Canns.

Pure incompetence.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Riam wrote:
Yes, but Amaral may have only been symptomatic of many of the team, plus they'd already been burned once. Amaral should have been taken off the case long before he was, so their level of confidence in the Portuguese authorities must have been very limited.

They later travelled to do their own partial reconstruction for TV and have travelled several times for the other court cases, so they weren't deterred by any possible actions of the Portuguese police while there. They were told quite clearly that the official police investigation into their daughters disappearance would come to a complete halt if they weren't willing to co-operate. The rest of the group were not being investigated yet they all refused to take part.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Non-cooperation with a Portuguese police reconstruction is a very different thing from travelling to the country with a more independent group. The other parties presumably are disgusted with the Portuguese police also.

You seem determined to convict them, Species2. It's remarkable. It's like this talk of their stories not being consistent - were you ever in an accident? Could you reconstruct events clearly afterwards? I have, and I couldn't - I was in a car accident which wasn't particularly traumatic (painful, but not particularly traumatic) and afterwards I thought it happened in a different place, it was just because DH had driven up to collect me and move my car that we knew where it was.

I don't know if you've read The Invisible Gorilla by Chabris and Simons, but they have a very illustrative case where a couple were driving home when a man was stabbed in front of them. The girl immediately called 911, got through to an operator in less than a minute, described the attacker only to be contradicted by the boy - they both remembered two totally different attackers; not only what he was wearing (jeans -v- sweatpants, two different types of shirt), how tall he was, but his race - black or hispanic. It happened right in front of them and they called the police and spoke to someone within a minute.

In the McCann's case, I'd be a lot more suspicious if there weren't discrepancies. There's no point in hashing this out though - you convicted them years ago and you won't be swayed.

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Riam wrote:
Non-cooperation with a Portuguese police reconstruction is a very different thing from travelling to the country with a more independent group. The other parties presumably are disgusted with the Portuguese police also.

You seem determined to convict them, Species2. It's remarkable. It's like this talk of their stories not being consistent - were you ever in an accident? Could you reconstruct events clearly afterwards? I have, and I couldn't - I was in a car accident which wasn't particularly traumatic (painful, but not particularly traumatic) and afterwards I thought it happened in a different place, it was just because DH had driven up to collect me and move my car that we knew where it was.

I don't know if you've read The Invisible Gorilla by Chabris and Simons, but they have a very illustrative case where a couple were driving home when a man was stabbed in front of them. The girl immediately called 911, got through to an operator in less than a minute, described the attacker only to be contradicted by the boy - they both remembered two totally different attackers; not only what he was wearing (jeans -v- sweatpants, two different types of shirt), how tall he was, but his race - black or hispanic. It happened right in front of them and they called the police and spoke to someone within a minute.

In the McCann's case, I'd be a lot more suspicious if there weren't discrepancies. There's no point in hashing this out though - you convicted them years ago and you won't be swayed.

absolutley

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 5  [ 98 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next