Author

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:13 pm

hello,
We have just bought a house in Dundrum. My daughter is 3 1/2 and I'm scrambling to get her on lists for local primary schools. She will need a junior infants spot for Sept 2016. I would really appreciate feedback about the local schools including;
Taney National School (very near to us but we are Catholic and it is CofI so ?won't get in)
Holy Cross National School
Mount Anville NS (?just girls, I have a baby boy so would prefer co-ed so that he can go too in a few years)
Our ladys national school columbanus
Our lady's grove national school milltown

Am I missing any other good ones?
Thanks for your advice, Michaela

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Have you been in contact with the schools to see if they have a place for her? You may have no choice about where you send her...

Posted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Off the top of my head you have forgotten Ballinteer ETNS, St Olafs, St Attractas and Divine Word; all good schools and I have friends with kids in them all but no person experience. Not sure where you are in Dundrum, it's quite a big area.

There's also St Raphaels and St Benildus if you are up that way.

You stand little to no chance of getting into Taney as you say, or ET Rathfarnham. Dundrum has parts in d14 and d16 so check out all options.

http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-school ... -Dublin-16

http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-school ... -Dublin-14

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Thank you both. We'll be living on Sydenham villas which is right by Taney and quite far from the ballinteer side of D 14. Holy cross seem positive my daughter will get in. Taney are non-committal! Last year only siblings got in never mind Catholics! Any feedback on holy cross?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:30 pm

You could also look at Oatlands in Stillorgan. They take boys and girls in primary and boys only in secondary. For girls there is also Mount Anville national school in Stillorgan/Mount Merrion and Mount Anville private primary or Montessori (to Sixth class in Goatstown). I don't know anything about Holy Cross recently but it would not have had a good reputation in the past.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:43 pm

If you are Catholic I imagine you would get in to Holy Cross all right.

My neighbour had her dd there for JI & SI but moved her by 1st as she was very unhappy with other kids behaviour and the teachers/principals attitude to problems, particularly physical attacks from one or two kids towards her dd.

She went to Raphaels and is very happy with it. It's girls only but twinned with Benildus I understand.

St Attractas would still be within easy distance, and St Olafs too if you are looking for mixed national schools. Both are apparently much better that HC.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:55 am

Wow. Thanks, that's pretty sobering. Have put in applications to everywhere. Now hoping we get into Olaf's.
M

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi there,

I have personal experience of St Attracta's and am very happy with it. Friends have their children in Holy Cross and Divine Word and have heard positive reports on both aswell.

HTH - pm me if you want any more info.

Lolly.

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks Lolly.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 pm

It's an old post but I'm interested in your end choice. Have you moved to another place or not? How do you help your daughter with the study? Because I use a free essay database studymoose to help my son. Maybe there are any other opportunities for this purpose?