Author

Post subject: WIne calories????
Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:30 pm

HOw many calories are ina glass of white wine in comparison to a vodka and dash of 7up???

Post subject: Re: WIne calories????
Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 pm

So funny that this one didn't get any replies !!!!!

Tech, bringing down the tone of things here asking about calories and wine
Lol

:lol: : :lol:

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:43 pm

A bottle of wine has 900 calories a bottle. :nervous:
Average of 6 glasses per bottle at 150 calories per glass. :nervous: :nervous:

Each glass contains an average of 9 teaspoons of sugar. :shocked:
That is 56 teaspoons of sugar per bottle. :onfire:

It took me a while to get over the above information and I sorely wish that I was not in possession of it. It is the sugar rather than the calories that upsets me.

I doubt a short and slimline mixer would come in that high.
No idea of the points system. Sadly or happily, I cannot decide. :biggrin:
Sullys

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Sullys wrote:
A bottle of wine has 900 calories a bottle. :nervous:
Average of 6 glasses per bottle at 150 calories per glass. :nervous: :nervous:

Each glass contains an average of 9 teaspoons of sugar. :shocked:
That is 56 teaspoons of sugar per bottle. :onfire:

It took me a while to get over the above information and I sorely wish that I was not in possession of it. It is the sugar rather than the calories that upsets me.

I doubt a short and slimline mixer would come in that high.
No idea of the points system. Sadly or happily, I cannot decide. :biggrin:
Sullys

say it aint so!! :cry:
I have never wished so much I could go back in time and NOT open a thread!! 9 spoons PER GLASS! That's as bad as full fat coke!??!

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:36 pm

I am so never believing that about the sugar in wine, or the calories, I always thought a small glass (4 glasses per bottle) was 135 cals. Anyway, I searched and found this
While sugar is a primary component of wine grapes, yeast removes most of it during fermentation. In dry and mostly dry wine, there is less than 10 sugar calories in a six ounce glass. The small amount of residual sugar plays a role in balance and mouthfeel of wine. So fear not that you are chugging tons of sugar in your wine but do encourage wineries to let you know the amount that is in there.

:biggrin:

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:20 am

Where did you get those figures Sullys!!? The horror of it, even for one minute that it might be so, it nearly made me choke on my shiraz.......

All of the Information I can see says wine has less than 1g of sugar per 100gs....

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/sugar-i ... drinks.php

To Answer op's question, if you are counting calories, a white spirit with a diet/zero carb mixer would be the lowest in calories... But there are benefits in drinking red wine that you don't get from spirits... Resveratrol for starters, So it would be overall a better alcoholic choice... Of course, all alcohol is just empty calories, so moderation is the key really!

Now the world can continue turning again...

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:58 pm

sadie wrote:
Where did you get those figures Sullys!!? The horror of it, even for one minute that it might be so, it nearly made me choke on my shiraz.......

All of the Information I can see says wine has less than 1g of sugar per 100gs....

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/sugar-i ... drinks.php

To Answer op's question, if you are counting calories, a white spirit with a diet/zero carb mixer would be the lowest in calories... But there are benefits in drinking red wine that you don't get from spirits... Resveratrol for starters, So it would be overall a better alcoholic choice... Of course, all alcohol is just empty calories, so moderation is the key really!

Now the world can continue turning again...

Am happy to be corrected, and apologise profusely for any choking/trauma I have caused to those unlucky enough to read my post. :lol:

BUT DH is here near me, and he too remembers us hearing this on some programme and my being particularly distressed at the news. :biggrin:

Anyway it may have been mentioned in connection with middle aged women with weight around their middles, caused by drinking wine and the excess sugar in it.

I remember it distinctly, as it rang a most unpleasant bell with me, and definitly took the enjoyment out of my glass of wine for a couple of days before I largely tried to eliminate it from my mind.

Again sincere apologies IF I am wrong as it was certainly not my intention to cause any undue stress.

Sullys

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Calories in wine never there is none :biggrin: . Wine is a superfood that's all you need to know the rest is irrelevant lol . Defiantly not that much sugar in wine even low carb diets allow a glass of red wine . Couldn't give you figures as I don't count the cals in wine so I don't want to know :lol: .

Ah no seriously I think it's around 150 cals a glass but not much sugar . I get 5 glasses from a bottle . There are 2 things in life I won't go without my glass of red wine and dark chocolate all in moderation of course .

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:43 am

With the new pointing system in ww a bottle of wine is 20 and a G&T, V&T with slimline tonic or diet mixture is 2...................nuff said - hit the hard stuff!!!

2003, 2004, 2006, 2008!!
Hanging up me ovaries!

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 am

What about west coast cooler, anyone have an idea of how many Calories in one big bottle ? Thanks .

Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Moto Moto wrote:
Wine is a superfood that's all you need to know the rest is irrelevant lol .

Wise words.