Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:06 am

Well on second glass of red at moment, its quite light, had my first glass with dinner, shepards pie, and really enjoyed it. :)
Its quite a light wine for a red, I would usually drink Shiraz or Cabernet Sauv, which would be richer IYKWIM

I definitely would buy it again when on special offer :thumbsup:

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:12 am

Will do a proper review tomorrow but not mad about the White. Way too sweet for me!

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 am

With regard to the red wine - did you all let it breath for an hour before you drank it?

With regard to the white I don't like a sweet wine so I'll see what I think tomorrow.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:41 am

Clauds wrote:
With regard to the red wine - did you all let it breath for an hour before you drank it?
I did but purely because I was too busy to drink it. :D Had 3 glasses. If I had to rate it I would give it a 6/10.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:44 am

Well did open bottle with good intentions of letting it breath, lasted 5mins :blush:

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:32 am

1well i got the meal deal in tescos today and got the rosemount, so i havent even opened my wine. will drink it tomorrow, drank all the rosemount on my own

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:35 am

gigglers wrote:
1well i got the meal deal in tescos today and got the rosemount, so i havent even opened my wine. will drink it tomorrow, drank all the rosemount on my own

Love Rosemount :inlove:

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:41 am

Had the white tonight. I love Sauvignon Blanc. I definitely prefer it from a cooler climate like France or NZ. Some of the other New World versions are too fruity and not crisp and flinty enough.

I enjoyed this, not my favourite ever, but pretty good value for the price it is at the moment. :thumbsup:

DS1 - July '03
DS2 - June '06

"Civilization is a limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities." (Mark Twain)

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:04 am

Oh god, was dreaming about the wine club last night... Dreamt that the white wine was pure syrup and tasted like paint stripper. I was so embarrassed that I recommended the wine.

Must be taking this club too seriously :biggrin:

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:14 am

Dede wrote:
Had the white tonight. I love Sauvignon Blanc. I definitely prefer it from a cooler climate like France or NZ. Some of the other New World versions are too fruity and not crisp and flinty enough.

I enjoyed this, not my favourite ever, but pretty good value for the price it is at the moment. :thumbsup:

Spy Mountain is a Marlborough Estate wine and is from NZ.

I'm surprised that so many of you are finding it sweet, I hate sweet wines but quite like this. I would rarely sit down with a glass of white though, it would always be with food. I do think many wines taste better when having food.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:05 pm

We open this with dinner last night and the first glass was a bit fruity and I thought it tasted better with food ( we had chicken ) had another glass after and taught it was too fruity to drink on its own. However would buy it again if it was on special like another posters wouldn't spend the full price on it.

DH didn't like it at all said it was too sweet.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:38 pm

I found the fruitiness of this quite overpowering - it made me think a bit of West Coast Cooler, but heavier. Still drank it, mind you, all in the name of research :biggrin: I prefer my whites less fruity and a lot drier.

Dh has just gone to Tesco, so I must text him to remind him about the red.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:59 pm

I generally love Sauvignon Blanc but I too am finding it a bit too sweet/fruity/sharp. It is actually more on the chardonnay side that Sauv Blanc side I would say. I am not (at the moment) having it with food, so can't comment on that front and I generally prefer red but as white wines go, this would not be my favourite and i prob wouldn't buy it again.
I will however drink the whole bottle as I hate to see anything go to waste. :D

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Both myself and DH very impressed with the Oyster Bay, its light but very tasty. Went very well with our fish dinner.

Not a wine critic but we liked it and will buy again. Thanks.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Kendee wrote:
Dede wrote:

Spy Mountain is a Marlborough Estate wine and is from NZ.

I'm surprised that so many of you are finding it sweet, I hate sweet wines but quite like this. I would rarely sit down with a glass of white though, it would always be with food. I do think many wines taste better when having food.

Yup - I knew that. ;) I can see where people are coming from with the comments about it being fruity. It is more fruit-driven than most other NZ Sauvignon Blancs I've had. Wouldn't consider it at all sweet though.

Have the red here as well but am not in the mood for drinking wine right now. Might open that tomorrow. It's tea for me tonight. :)

DS1 - July '03
DS2 - June '06

"Civilization is a limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities." (Mark Twain)

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Just having my first glass of the white now, mmmmm it is quite a fruity number alright. :D
It does remind of me of West Coast Cooler as another poster said, I put some ice in :lookround: and am quite enjoying it :thumbsup:
Not one Id be rushing out to buy in future though.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:01 am

Had my bottle of Spy mountain tonight and we loved it. We didn't think it was sweet at all, I've had sweet wine and this wasn't in any way sweet! Personally I didn't taste any resembalance between the wine and west coast cooler...

Had this with the M&S chicken en croute (which had tomatoes and pesto in it) and it went really well with it.

Not sure if i'd pay full price though for this. Our all time fav NZ wine is Astrolabe and that's usually €13-€14 a bottle. So if I was going to fork out that money I'd go for Astrolabe but I think I prefer Spy Mountain over Montanna and I love montanna! Think I'll stock up on a few bottles of spy mountain in Tescos while it's on special offer.

So a 4/5 from our house and I'll definitely buy it again. Got the Oyster Bay pinot noir so I'll probably keep that til next weekend.

Anywhere here's one I prepared earlier

Here's one I polished off earlier

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:04 am

Love those photos Clauds!
The white was not to my liking really - far too sweet.
The red I love so full marks for the red!!!

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:22 am

Oh, I love Astrolabe too!

Classy pics. :thumbsup: I'm sure all of the wine experts out there will be kicking themselves that they never thought of Skips as the ideal food pairing for this one. :lol:

DS1 - July '03
DS2 - June '06

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:30 am

Skips were the business with it :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 5 of 7  [ 134 posts ] Go to page Previous   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next