Author

Post subject: Any writers out there?
Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:28 am

Hi everyone, i've been mulling about an idea for a book for a few years now and have decided to take the plunge and give it a go. Have had a few articles published in papers/magazines etc but no fiction. I've just completed a writing course so while it's all fresh in my mind i'm ready to start. But i can't,lol. I know how i should start, i know the basics of writing a novel, i have the writers and artists yearbook, the books on how to start, I've done the course, etc. But i didn't realise how hard it would be! I have the outline in my head, but getting started is really holding me back. I've written about ten first chapters and thrown them away as rubbish. Any tips please?

Sometimes, you're making so much noise in your life you don't hear the things that really matter. Like the shattering splinter of hurtful words, the quiet erosion of trust, or the breaking of a heart that makes no sound at all.

Post subject: Re: Any writers out there?
Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:04 am

No advice, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck!

Mammy to 3 beautiful boys aged 3, 6 & 8

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:39 am

Urgh meet your sister :crazy:

I have been toying around with some ideas for children's books for a while now but just can't seem to get it out of me IYKWIM ??

What I found helped was that I sat down and over the course of months just filled a journal with concepts, themes, storylines, characters, character history, turns of phrase I liked..........everything.

Then over the course of a few more months kept reducing the ideas until a couple of ideas became clear and the bones of the story became apparent.

It might sound a bit hocus pocus but it helped me oranise my thoughts.

Actually when I started the journal I had an idea for a murder/mystery - but over time I realised what I actually wanted to do was write children's books............not murder/mystery for toddlers or anything :lol:

It is an interesting exercise anyway.

HTH

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 pm

The important thing is to write daily even if you feel you are writing rubbish and I keep everything I have ever written in a box, it gets you in the habit andhelps with that blank page that is crying out to be filled.
Start with what you know. Rough write your plans out

I found Stephen King's book "On Writing" had some interesting tips on how he writes, first draft for himself door closed second draft for public but i suppose everyone has to find out what works for them.

Dont know if any of this helps,I also keep a torch, a pen and paper by the bed and a dicaphone in the car as I used to get ideas on long trips to Galway and try to write them as I drove on the leg of my jeans very messy :lol: dictaphone easier

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. Pink lady, cheers :thumbsup: .Bellini, i want to write for children too. I have made up a few stories for my ds at bedtime, but don't think they would be good enough to send off to an agent. Yayyyyy, that is a good idea thanks. I actually had a great idea when i woke up the other morning and i still haven't written it down (oops). I'm going to aim to write a chapter a week i hope. Even if it's rubbish. I can always go back and rewrite. I'm determined to do it this. Even if it's rubbish i can always say i did it!

Sometimes, you're making so much noise in your life you don't hear the things that really matter. Like the shattering splinter of hurtful words, the quiet erosion of trust, or the breaking of a heart that makes no sound at all.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:03 pm

OOh - I'm jealous now.....

I'm what I like to call a writer, which means I do it for my own pleasure, more as a hobby than anything else. It's always been there I suppose from a young age, and I've never stopped it. I have thought of books etc, but I can never seem to get past the initial idea. I'll have a great idea and it'll go great, and after a couple of chapters it'll just stop and I won't have a clue where I'm going or how to get there iukwim.

I do write a lot though.... don't know whether you'd call them poems/creative memories or what, but sure it's a start.

Good luck on the book though, hope to meet you on the bestsellers list someday!! :lol:

DD 7

"Remember, as far as anyone knows, we're a nice normal family"

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Oh its so hard..I've written a good few childrens stories, which my sister illustrated for my children. I have loads of plots and stories in my head, but I am frightened of starting to write. I don't know why!!

My friend who is sick of listening to me bought me a Moleskine journal (very fancy, paper) apparently used by such luminaries as Picasso..well if its good enough for them... :biggrin: So I am starting to journal, and it is true the more you write, the easier it gets! It was a slow start though... :crazy:

I also got a gift of my life story which is a journal, where you can document significant moments in your life and give to your children. Must start that too!

Maybe there is a bestselling author among us.. :rockedover:
Kat

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Bellini I'm exactly the same as you - actually have some of my children's book written but DS is taking up so much of my time I can't get anywhere near it now!

Also recommend Stephen King's On Writing - great book.

Check out Nanowrimo for a really good writing challenge and forum. http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:27 pm

I dont know anything about writing fiction but when I was doing my thesis & research etc, I would always do the start last (sounds weird I know!). I found it so much easier! I think it gets over that "how do I start this feeling". I always knew what I wanted to say but just didnt know how to start, so I said what I wanted to stay and then went back and wrote the start after I had said it IUKWIM!!

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:38 pm

I used to do a bit of fictional writing for another site and I always find that once I sit myself down and get in "the zone" so to speak then the words and ideas just flow!

They come from no where, it's like magic once my fingers touch the keyboard! (that's not to say the actual writing is magic though, just my ideas always come to me whilst typing! :crazy: )

Now getting in "the zone" is the hardest bit for me, as there is always something else to get my attention (MM for example :blush: ) and I haven't written now for months and months, but I really do want to write a book so I am going to force myself to sit down tomorrow for an hour or so and put some effort into coming up with some different ideas and testing the waters.

Maybe we could all encourage each other, like how they have the morning housework challanges! We could have the writing challanges :lol:

Just think of a time slot in this coming week, where you will have at least an hour to yourself and dedicate that to writing and see what happens, even jotting down a few ideas will help, because the next time you will already have them there and you could either expand on them or change them to an even better idea.

Sure we all need to start somewhere.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

When thoughts become actions, goals become reality.

Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:39 pm

i have some short stories written but am stuck as to what to do with them. Best of luck. If you need anyone to read them before hand give me a PM :bigups:

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Yes. I'm here. and I want to share with you very informative articles for mums. I write about the private school and public school. I 'm sure that it will be useful for all of us.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:46 am

It`s so wonderful to be pregnant, so future mothers should be careful and to save own health, because it`s necessary for the baby. Few weeks ago I`ve already read about it on this site http://buy-essays-papers.org/ and now I understand it.