An Irish website for mums and mums-to-be
FAQ
Register
Login
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 pm

ds sleeps very well in his cot and goes to bed at night without a peep. anytime i've had to sleep in a bed with him while we were away he was an absolute nightmare to get to sleep and to stay asleep.
i was just thinking today about when i'll move him into a bed. he's 2 years 7 months.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:46 pm

My friend moved her son into a bed for his 4th birthday!! Her cot was one that is placed on the ground and tbh kinda looks like a cage as it is really high so he could not get out but she swears keeping him in it for all them years was better for him.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:47 pm

m&m, same here. DD2 very happy in her cot and sleeps great. Have her bed all ready the last few months but in no hurry to move her. Sure we will know when the time is right :D

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Moved a month after 3rd birthday. Well, didn't really move - we just took the bars off the cot bed.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Well I have no intention of moving dd until the cot is a danger to her.
She hasn't copped yet that she could probably get out of it very easily if she tried.

I'd leave him there m&m as long as he is happy in it.

I moved dd2 at 20 months cause I needed the cot for dd3 and I moved dd1 at 2 years and 9 months as I needed it for dd2.

Find a job you love and you will never work a day in your life

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:01 am

Mostly with both feet firmly on the ground.
I would say M&M , leave him there as long as he is happy , there is no rush.
All of mine stayed in their cots until about 3. They went to bed without a bother and played away in the cot for a while each morning. The time will come soon enough, " if it's not broken, dont fix it" is my motto!

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:06 am

DD is 3 and is still in her cot. She hasn't tried to get out of it yet. She is safe and happy in it so I don't see any reason to change that.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:43 am

I think my dd was over 3 when I made her cot into a bed. As long as they don't feel the need to climb out of the cot, I won't feel the need to take them out of it!

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:47 am

My DS was 3 and 6 months before we moved him to a bed, and we only did that as we moved house and had his new bed ready. He was so happy in his cot, never made any effort to get out of it - TBH I had visions of him there until his 18th birthday! He transferred fine but I would of left him in his cot if we didn't move house. You will know when your DS is ready. If he is happy where he is, I would leave him.

HG xx

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:16 am

wingnut wrote:
Moved a month after 3rd birthday. Well, didn't really move - we just took the bars off the cot bed.

same her and she's still in it as it looks like a small bed. She's delighted with it as she can get out to go to the toilet and sneak into our bed :sarcasm: In a few months I'll rejig the sleeping arrangements to give DD1 the bigger bedroom and I'll move DD2 into DD1's current bed.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:20 am

dd2 was 3 last october and she's still in a cot. She can get out herself if she wants so she's not 'trapped'.

She loves her cot!

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:39 am

Ds is still in his. He hasn't figured out how to get out of it yet. Dd is getting a new bed in July so we might move him then, in no hurry though, I'd say he'll be a nightmare when he does go into one.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:59 am

Ds1 was in his cot until he was 3 plus a few months. He loved his cot and was happy out in there. We changed the cot to a bed when he started jumping out of the cot.

Got loads of comments about him being in a cot at that age but he loved his cot.

If he's happy out in the cot i'd leave him there.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:27 am

DD3 loved her cot and would definitely have stayed in it till 3+. I took her out of it in January at 2y3m as I toilet trained her. She is dry at night so she had to be in a bed to get to the toilet/potty. If your DS is happy in it I'd leave him.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Defo. leave him if he's happy..both my boys were almost 3..
Its a much easier transition imo if the child is older..you can make a big deal in
a couple of mths of going to buy the bed and bed clothes..they understand it much better..
I found with ds1 he was beg. to wake himself up hitting off the bars so that was time to move..
With ds2 we were moving house and I wanted him settled in a bed before the move but he
was happy out in his cot up untill that..

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 pm

id say leave him too. Ds1 had his until he was over 3. Ds2 I think was coming up to 3 but ds3 who is not 3 until june was taken out at about 16 months as he tried to kill himself climbing out. Im of the train of though...dont fix whats not broken

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:41 pm

DD2 is 3 and 4 months and is still in a cot. We need to do up the room and get bunk beds so she'll be in it for a while longer. She calls me if she wants the toilet. Also if we put her in a bed now she'd spend most of the night exploring the bathroom. She's happy in the cot too.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:59 pm

DS1 is three and three months and is totally happy in his cotbed. No plans to move him anytime soon. He's toilet trained and his night time nappy is always, or nearly always dry in the mornings and he does a pee first thing. No problems so far. As long as he's happy, I'm happy. He loves his cot!

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:29 pm

have a 3 and a half year old and a 2 and a half year old still in cots here. no intension of moving them yet.they are both happy enough.

Dd3 is 5.5mths old :-)

Raise your words, not voice.
It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:48 am

DD is nearly 3 and a half and in the cot. well, it is a cot-bed, so plenty of room and she loves it, so no intentions to bother with changes for a while.
guess next step will be moving her into big (that is double) bed, but for that we'll have to re-arrange the rooms and move her into different bedroom. this is not gonna happen until summer for number of reasons.