Author

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:39 am

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get borax? I have the soap and the soda crystals but can't even Captain Google can't steer me towards borax in Ireland. Any ideas?

Are there any other good laundry detergent recipes that don't use it?

Thanks,
Deb

http://fatdebslim.com

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi there,
I've been making my own laundry liquid for a while and you can get borax in some chemists. They sell little tubs at the counter for about €1.30. Boots had it but they ordered it in for me. So did the Tesco chemist. I just ask when I'm in any chemist and if they have some I buy it and stock up! They may only have one or two tubs in stock. I also bought a big container on eBay when I was treating a dog for mange :biggrin:

I've had great success with my liquid, I also make washing up liquid and easy hand/body soaps using Melt & Pour soap from Bomar in Kilcoole....save a fortune.

I have also stopped using shampoo and use bread soda & vinegar rinse and my hair has never looked so good.

Another saver is using honey & bread soda as a facial cleaner....amazing for removing makeup :biggrin:

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:55 pm

I just got the chemist to order Borax for me, 1.38 for 100 gms - which is probably extortionate!! I am using it for science experiments in primary school (which I run). I would love a recipe for detergent tho of anyone has one.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Cosmos wrote:
Hi there,
I have also stopped using shampoo and use bread soda & vinegar rinse and my hair has never looked so good.

Another saver is using honey & bread soda as a facial cleaner....amazing for removing makeup :biggrin:

wow! How does the bread soda & vinergar rinse work? Do you just wash it with water and then use the rinse?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Thanks Cosmos - I found it at the chemist all right. Am thrilled with the detergent. I'm using the following recipe:

http://www.debalicious.com/2012/04/homemade-laundry-detergent.html

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:26 pm

many thanks will try that!

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 pm

That should have been bread soda then vinegar rinse.

1 tblspoon bread soda dissolved in 1cup water....use a clear bottle so you can see its dissolved when you shake it up.
Wet hair really well pour on scalp and massage in using circular gentle movemnets
Rinse with water
1-2 tbsp of ACV (apple cider vinegar) in 1 cup of water and pour over hair
Rinse!

Personally I don't do much after that except dry a bit with towel and then let it fall into its natural shape/curl

I found the transition easy as I was using all natural shampoos, you may find it initially great then after a few washes it may not look good but stick with it.

I have thick curly/wavy hair and now I don't use any products, I would have used Aloe vera gel or other natural products to stop frizz but now my hair looks thicker, healthier and curls beautifully.

Lots of info on web this is handy http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/

Dewdropdeb thats the same recipe for detergentI use more or less, I don't bother with the EO as it doesn't last after clothes are dry and I just buy a bar of 'pure' soap and grate/fine chop it

I have saved so much money....but making your own products is so satisfying and simplifies things really

Have also had great success making lip balm & hand/body lotion

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:30 am

thanks cosmos!

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:28 pm

I know this is thread is a few months old, but I've been trying to get some borax to make my own laundry detergent and having no success, local chemists cant order it apparently! I've been making it with just soda crystals and soap flakes...am now nearly out of soap flakes and cant get any more of those either - where do you get natural soap too?
Thanks

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:15 pm

OK got Borax from Boots for 1.44 for 100grms (thanks Cosmos)
Still looking for natural soap, laundry soap or soap flakes if anyone knows where that is sold I'd really appreciate it, although I think this thread may be dead!!???
Thanks

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Nope i am working up to it just waiting to come across a 10 L container! Have everything else!!!!
Got soap flakes in Tesco a while back

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks Northdubmum. I thought I'd use a few of the big milk containers, but not sure if the plastic is strong enough!!!

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:01 am

Ask a local deli for one of those huge mayonnaise tubs, mine was only too glad to be rid of it! Works great with a tight lid! :)

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:05 pm

I got mine in the local chemist today ,now they were tiny tubs but they said they will order more in for me as i found it really hard to find any in galway city..Made my washing powder this evening ,threw in soda crystals from tesco and a grated soap..smells grand too..Cant wait to try it out now!

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:06 pm

scubelle wrote:
I know this is thread is a few months old, but I've been trying to get some borax to make my own laundry detergent and having no success, local chemists cant order it apparently! I've been making it with just soda crystals and soap flakes...am now nearly out of soap flakes and cant get any more of those either - where do you get natural soap too?
Thanks

How did you find it with just the soda crystals and the soap flakes?

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:40 am

Borax can be bought in garden centres, farmers who would grow turnip would use it, as the lack of mineral
in the soil creates a heart within turnip.

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:58 pm

mtcgirly wrote:
scubelle wrote:
I've been making it with just soda crystals and soap flakes...

How did you find it with just the soda crystals and the soap flakes?

Sorry mtcgirly, just noticed this post. It was ok, but there was no smell and I think I like a hint of nice fresh laundry smell - been using essential oils since. Also found it didn't shift the heavier stains, still trying to get raspberry coulis outta DD's dress, but I've started putting in a wee bit of Oxygen bleach if its needed. Apparently the Borax brings down the Ph value of the water and is therefore kinda to your clothes.

Design I'll try my Garden centre next time, cos treking over to Boots isn't much craic.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Hi there
I read a post about using melt and pour soap from Bomar in kilcoole do you have any recipes to share for laundry detergent, fabric softener, shampoo, shower gel, dish washer detergent. I have tried the baking soda shampoo and ACV rinse but feel it makes my scalp itchy, have my hair dyed I wonder if that makes a difference. Has anyone any suggestions please.