Author

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:52 am

We are sure we have completed our family :biggrin: So I have boxes of gorgeous girls clothes that I am storing. We're moving house soon and I really need to make a decision on what to do with it all. I'm a bit emotional thinking about it though, will feel really sad giving DDs stuff away :huh: :blush: (sad I know). No close friends pregnant at the moment to give them too. Our newest arrival is already growing out of the newborn baby stuff too!

Its not really an issue of who to give them to anyway, its more actually getting rid of it all and accepting that I won't need them again (I have absolutely no desire to be pregnant again, that is for sure) etc. etc. But then there is always the risk of a surprise pregnancy in a few years, what would you do then if all your baby clothes and baby stuff was gone? :lookround:

So when did you accept you would not need all your baby clothes or baby equipment and start the clear out??

M/s 17/04/09 Edd 22/10/09

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:56 am

I was sure my third child was our last so as soon as he grew out of cloths I would give them to charity, I didn't have anyone close to me having babies and I didn't want to store them. I have to say it didn't make me sad. I am beyond sure I'm finished and I'm so over the baby stage that for me it made me so happy to give them away. :biggrin:

My dh has gone on to have a vasectomy so I hope that will be the end of any worry about surprises.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 am

I gave away all ds's stuff when he was finished with them. Everything! Equiptment, clothes, etc.

After re-purchasing everything for dd 8 years later, i'v loaned equiptment to friends and kept most of her clothes. Not planning on needing them again but i said that after ds so they will be staying in the attic for a while!

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Well my attic is full of bags of boys and girls baby stuff. But this is definitely going to be my last baby so I already know that I'll get rid of whatever colour clothes I don't need (blue/pink!) There are loads of gorgeous clothes up there so I'd really like someone else to get use out of them.

I lent all the baby stuff to my brother last year but will get that back. They definitely want more kids at some stage so will happily pass everything back to him when I'm finished with them this time round. Am sure I'll feel a bit sad but at the same time I think I'll be looking forward to moving on to the next stage of our lives. (mind you, this baby isn't even here yet so maybe I'll feel differently about it all after she/he makes an appearance)

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:02 pm

i've kept a few of both their baby clothes - their newborn babygros, hats, a pair of newborn socks etc and a few things that are of sentimental value.

gave most of the rest to my cousins who've both had babies recently and anything leftover went to charity.

anything that was very stained went in the bin (mostly bibs and vests).

my aunt recently gave me clothes that had been mine when i was a kid - it's so weird seeing them again but some of them are gorgeous and really good quality so i'll probalby recycle them for DD.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:08 pm

After dd1 I gave everything away as I was living at home and couldn't store the stuff in her attic. I've had to rebuy everything for dd2 as I had nothing left. Will be keeping it all until I know that there will be no possibility of any more babies though as I know I'm not finished yet.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:08 pm

I was (and still am) so sure DS2 was our last that he had barely grown out of them and they were given away! Clothes, baby equipment, everything - I loved it. I'm not a big fan of the baby stage, so for me it was the end of one stage and the beginning of the next stage of our lives as a family.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Everything goes as soon as dd is finished with it here.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:10 pm

I gave everything clotheswise to the charity shops as soon as they grew out of them & baby equipment was given away when I was done with it after ds.
I am now pregnant again 10 years later & starting from scratch but I'm happy to be buying for her.
I have moved house so many times in the 10 years I could not have stored anything for that long.

This time round I'll prob keep equipment but probly not clothes cos I don't have the room

EDD 10/12/08 became an angel 21.4.08
EDD 8/5/09 became an angel 29.9.08
EDD 29/7/09 became an angel 8.1.09

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:57 pm

We're not having any more (and there have been vasectomy conversations, so I'd REALLY hope not to get caught out later!), but I haven't started getting rid of stuff yet. I'll go through their baby stuff when DS is bigger and get my patchworking mum to make me something out of my favourites. The rest will go to whoever needs it at the time.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:07 pm

I chucked everything stained or torn or raggedy after it got grown out of and kept the v nice stuff. I sold things i didn't adore and cleaned and scrubbed stores anything I thought I'd use again. As this is deffo our last, I'll sell or give away as I stop using it, incl toys. DH has plans for the space in the attic.

I will keep some clothes, specific outfits and/or things with special memories tho. My mammy did and I dressed DD in a summer baby outfit I had worn once and mammy nearly cried. It was lovely!!

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Kept all dds then when DS was a boy we did one big clear out of the girls stuff. I now clear out both their stuff as they out grow it, I did find it a bit emotional doing the big clear out but love getting rid now :biggrin:

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 pm

I kept the first baby-gros they wore - they are in their baby box.

Everything else we either get rid of to charity as soon as they are grown out of, thrown out if stained, and a few special bits I hold for siblings/friends.
I have next to nothing left now. Just some of DD1's outgrown clothes (2-7yrs) that I put aside for DD2

Baby equipment - We were very done with our 4 and gave away everything as it became un-needed. EVERYTHING. No moses basket, no highchairs, no entertainer, playmats, etc.
Except the cot that dd2 is still in and the buggy she still uses (which is badly worn).

We are snookered! :shocked:

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:08 pm

After I lost the 5th pregnancy in a row. A very bitter decision, but cathartic.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:52 pm

I gave everythng away after my MC between number 4 and 5. So had to get all new for number 5, well not new as such but borrowed etc. Am giving everything away now as I am certain we are done. So swing, crib, car seats all going this time.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:02 pm

I Have started to pack away ds4' s newborn clothes that no longer fit. We are def finished our family so il be looking for a new home for them. I've no friends pg at the moment so I'll prob be putting them up here , cos, bad as this may sound, they are too good to give to charity. (does that sounds selfish?)
I'm tring to do a big clear out at the moment. Ds1 is 13 so I'm hoping I can get rid of his clothes as ds2 iss only 7 and ds3 is 2, and I don't have the room to keep them. Obviously sumner clothes wil prob be kept sd there isn't much if those!

Dd's clothes are either given to my friend or charity.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:42 pm

a

Last edited by jamjaq on Tue May 06, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:56 pm

I stored all DD's clothes until I knew that baby No. 2 was a boy, then I gave all the boxes of clothes stored in the attic to a local charity shop. Now I pass some of her clothes to a friend and the rest goes in the charity shop bag.

I keep most of DS1's clothes for DS2 but get rid of stuff that's well worn and stuff that I know won't suit DS2 colour-wise I give to the local charity shop.

I have a charity bag on the go all the time and put DS2's clothes into it as he outgrows them and give to the charity shop when full.

I have no sentiment at all towards their clothes (except for their first babygro's) and once I've no further need for an item, it's out of the house. The same with baby equipment, once I've no further use for something, it's gone.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:41 pm

kept everything from when DD was born until DS2 was 3 months old (5 years and two house moves including one continent move!). Then I gave 5 years of girls clothes away and all the clothes that DS2 had grown out of. Now I just keep the bits that DS1 doesn't destroy in the hope of using them for DS2 and once he's out of them they go immediately.

I couldn't give everything away in one go. The first time I kept some cute bits and specific presents that we'd been given but gradually everytime I did another clear out I'd give them away too.
The buggies and car-seat were given away, the only bit of equipment I've kept has been a BabyBjorn bouncer and a travel cot because they are handy for any visiting babies.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:45 pm

She-ra wrote:
I was (and still am) so sure DS2 was our last that he had barely grown out of them and they were given away! Clothes, baby equipment, everything - I loved it. I'm not a big fan of the baby stage, so for me it was the end of one stage and the beginning of the next stage of our lives as a family.
Exactly the same here.