Register
Login

Were you refused a school place?
Yes 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
No 76%  76%  [ 16 ]
Other 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 21
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:45 pm

I know this goes on but I wouldn't stand for it and I don't know why parents do. if the school was private I could understand but when my taxes are paying for it my kids are as entitled to go there as much as any catholic child.

my kids school welcome all denominations. there are 12 girls in dd class and only 9 made their confirmation. she told me only 6 girls are making it next year. as far as I can see they welcome everyone equally. I will fine out if the school was under pressure would they priorities Catholics but even at that I would have my td on to fine out why my taxes are paying for a school that are clearly discriminating against my children

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:47 pm

should say find out not fine out damn auto correct

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Torbeck, you might be on to something there, keep all your options open :D

OH and nbgb, yes I think expectations and pressure play a big part in it.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Aliwassi wrote:
I know this goes on but I wouldn't stand for it and I don't know why parents do. if the school was private I could understand but when my taxes are paying for it my kids are as entitled to go there as much as any catholic child.

my kids school welcome all denominations. there are 12 girls in dd class and only 9 made their confirmation. she told me only 6 girls are making it next year. as far as I can see they welcome everyone equally. I will fine out if the school was under pressure would they priorities Catholics but even at that I would have my td on to fine out why my taxes are paying for a school that are clearly discriminating against my children

I don't see how you wouldn't stand for it though? They are legally entitled to discriminate and that's it. (I am totally against them being allowed to discrimate BTW)

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Would this not be breaking some European law or something? Haven't a clue, but I'd love to know if you could take a case for discrimination against them - it should in no way be allowed to discriminate based on religion in a state run school.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:54 pm

I'm amazed anyone on MM is shocked that school are allowed to discriminate. There have been many eloquent posters on here explaining exactly how the system works (ngbg is one of them).

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:55 pm

I know it's legal in Ireland ngbg, I was just wondering if you could prove that this violated the rules of EU law or UN law or whatever else. (Can you tell I know nothing about law?!) .

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:12 pm

I did not know this was legal. I swear I knew schools did it but the area I live in.. the inner city., has lots of schools so I only heard of it and never actually experienced it Iykwim. only thing I have really experienced is location discrimination not myself but a neighbour of mine. I think its disgusting that the government think this is ok. but I suppose its typical of them would probably be too much hastle for them to get it sorted. I am going to find out from my kids school what their enrollment policy is

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:13 pm

nbgb wrote:
tbh I'm surprised that you're shocked, it's legally permitted to descriminate on the basis of religion both in terms of enrolment and employment in schools - a derogation from the equal status act was sought to do this. The UN HRC have taken us to task on this and the availablity of non denom education but as far as I know the govt are heading back into it on the 15th to AGAIN defend this discrimination.

State-sanctioned (publicly-supported) discrimination against its own citizens! It is almost impressive.
I guess it is payback for the penal laws?

nbgb, do you have any further info on which gov dept/agency defends this to UN HCR?

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 pm

nbgb wrote:
Aliwassi wrote:
I did not know this was legal. I swear I knew schools did it but the area I live in.. the inner city., has lots of schools so I only heard of it and never actually experienced it Iykwim. only thing I have really experienced is location discrimination not myself but a neighbour of mine. I think its disgusting that the government think this is ok. but I suppose its typical of them would probably be too much hastle for them to get it sorted. I am going to find out from my kids school what their enrollment policy is

I wasn't trying to get at you, tbh unless you are one of those unhappy with the status quo (or part of those determined to keep the staus quo), you prob wouldn't have a clue. Before I tried to get a place for my eldest I wouldn't have had a breeze either. I'm a tad obsessive about it :biggrin: and have managed to piss off quite a few mm's over the years (I've had some lovely pm's :biggrin: )

Are there MMs that think that it's acceptable that state run schools discriminate based on religion?

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 pm

ainm2 wrote:
Are there MMs that think that it's acceptable that state run schools discriminate based on religion?

Yes! And some admit that it is 'wrong' but that strangely it doesn't bother them as much as it should. Some very smart MMs too.
I must admit I find it perplexing.

Off to bed now - my head hurts!

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Neither of my boys we christened and we're not bringing them up catholie. We got into the catholic school no problem. I have never heard a complaint about anyone being turned away based on religion. The last few years the school didn't have enough places for all the applicants but it went on the basis of siblings first, then age. Some Catholic children didn't get places so no obvious discrimination. We were never asked for a baptism cert either.

I was refused a place in our local CoI school but it was because of numbers. Think there is only 15 places a year and the majority go to siblings.

I think it's outrageous that state run schools discriminate on religious grounds esp when alternatives are not being provided.

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2  [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous   1, 2