Craving for a small treat? These Mini custard cups are what you need
These custard cups are inspired by "pasteis de nata", a traditional Portuguese pastry. The hardest part is to wait for them to cool down…
- 200g puff pastry sheet
- 15g unsalted butter, melted
- 110g caster sugar
- 30g cornflour
- 4 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
- 500ml milk
- 50g honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lemon peel
- Grated cinnamon, to taste
1. Unroll the pastry sheet and brush with melted butter. Roll tightly and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Cut out the ends of the roll and divide into 12 pieces. Using a rolling pin, flatten each piece and place inside a muffin tin. Refrigerate.
3. Preheat the oven to 250°C. In a small saucepan, mix the sugar, cornflour, eggs and beat until well combined. Add the milk, honey, vanilla, lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer, never stopping to whisk. Cook until the mixture thickens.
4. Remove the cinnamon stick and lemon peel and fill each muffin case with about 3 tbsp of mixture. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool and remove from tray. Top with grated cinnamon before serving.